2018 All-National Honor Ensembles FAQ
Please check back regularly for updated FAQs.
- When is the 2018 All-National Honor Ensembles program?
- November 25 – 28, 2018, Sunday (4:00 PM) – Wednesday (1:00 PM)
- Where will the 2018 All-National Honor Ensembles take place?
- Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort, Orlando, Florida
- Who is eligible to apply? All Applicants Must:
- Be in grades 9, 10 or 11 during the 2017-2018 school year.
- Attend school in one of the fifty states of the United States, the District of Columbia, or a Department of Defense School.
- Be a member of his or her school’s choral, string, guitar, or instrumental ensemble during the 2018-2019 school year corresponding with the ensemble for which application is made.
- Ensemble director must be a current member of NAfME.
- Be accepted to their state’s 2017-2018 All-State Festival.
- In the case of guitar, many states do not have an All-State Guitar Ensemble. Students who participate in their school’s guitar ensemble program are permitted to apply.
- If there isn’t an All-State Festival held during the 2017-2018 academic year, the 2016-2017 Division Festival will be acceptable (Northwest Division).
- If your state Music Education Association (MEA) does not sponsor the All-State Festival, the state MEA will determine which students are eligible to receive an invitation to apply.
- The final determination of eligibility for the All-National Honor Ensembles (ANHE) program is made by the student’s state Music Education Association (MEA). Please reach out to your state MEA with eligibility questions.
- Some states may require that students are both selected AND perform in their All-State. Students must follow the directive of their individual state MEA with regard to participation.
- Students who fail to comply with their individual state requirements will not be eligible to participate in the NAfME All-National Honor Ensembles program.
- Which piece do I play for my audition?
- Access the 2018 ANHE audition repertoire HERE. You are required to upload an unedited and unaccompanied video performing the required repertoire for your instrument of voice part. There is an option for Concert Band, Symphony Orchestra, Jazz Ensemble, and Mixed Choir students to upload an additional, optional 2-minute video. This may be a piece of your choosing and may be accompanied or unaccompanied. You could use this opportunity to demonstrate proficiency on an auxiliary instrument. This second video is NOT required.
- When is the deadline to apply?
- The application deadline is May 4, 2018, 9:00 Eastern Daylight Time.
- How do I apply?
- May I be considered for both ANHE Concert Band and Symphony Orchestra?
- Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion are automatically considered for both Concert Band and Symphony Orchestra.
- Am I allowed to apply more than once using a different instrument?
- Yes, but you must have been accepted to your All-State event on all instruments.
- I would like to apply, but my director is not a member of NAfME. May I still apply?
- Does my parent, guardian, or director need to attend with me?
- We encourage you to attend with either your parent/guardian or director – however, it is NOT mandatory.
- What are the fees associated with the 2018 ANHE Program?
- The application fee is $40.00. This is paid when you apply.
- The cost to participate, once accepted, is $865. Students are also responsible for their own airfare to and from Orlando International Airport (MCO).
- What does the $865 Student Registration Fee include?
- 3 night’s accommodations at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort: Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday nights. (November 25-28, 2018). ALL rooms are double occupancy. 2 students, 2 beds.
- Meals: Sunday – Dinner, Monday- Breakfast and Lunch – Monday Dinner is on your own in the Park, Tuesday – Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner, Wednesday – Breakfast.
- Transportation to and from the Orlando International Airport (MCO) via Disney’s Magical Express.
- All activities
- Disney Park Pass
- Is the fee refundable?
- If students cancel 60+ days in advance of the event they will receive a full refund ($865) minus a $50 admin processing fee.
- If students cancel 30-60 days in advance of the event they will receive a partial refund of $350.
- If students cancel less than 30 days in advance of the event they will not receive a refund unless there is a death in the immediate family (parent, sibling, or grandparent) or a documented medical emergency, in which case NAfME will provide a partial reimbursement of $300.
- Am I allowed to pick my roommate?
- Roommate requests may be made; however, they are not guaranteed to be honored.
- Am I allowed to stay with my parent/guardian?
- Students are not allowed to room with anyone other than their assigned roommate, unless for medical reasons, in which case signed documentation from a medical professional is required.
- Will my parent/guardian, family member(s), or director be able to secure accomodations at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort or will they have to stay somewhere else?
- Discounted rates at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort will be available to family and friends under the ANHE room block. More information on room rates and reservations will be available in the 2018 ANHE Program Information Sheet, and will also be provided via email to Directors and Parents once students are selected.
SCHEDULE FOR 2018 ANHE
- Is there a 2018 ANHE schedule available?
- For a tentative schedule, click HERE.
- Will there be vegetarian and vegan options?
- I have severe allergies, will accommodations be made?
- Yes – students must notify NAfME staff of any allergies using the ANHE medical form.
- Am I responsible for my own airfare if needed?
- Yes, students are responsible for their own airfare. NAfME will provide transportation to and from Orlando International Airport (MCO) via Disney’s Magical Express.
- When will I need to arrive?
- Students should arrive Sunday, November 25, 2018 between 1:00 PM-3:00 PM. There is a mandatory rehearsal on Sunday, November 25 at 4:00 PM. Registration will take place between 2:00-4:00 PM.
- When can I depart?
- Students will be released to their parents at 1:00 PM on Wednesday, November 28, following the conclusion of the final concert. Students should not book their return flight until after 4:00 PM due to transportation and security times.
FREE TIME IN THE PARK
- Will students be able to spend time with family and friends?
- Students will have the opportunity to spend time with their family during their Disney Park visit on Monday evening. More information will be provided by NAfME staff.
- Family and friends of ANHE students are not permitted to attend rehearsals or visit student sleeping rooms.
- ANHE students may not leave rehearsals or their sleeping rooms during scheduled hours, unless for medical reasons
- The student registration fee includes a one-day Disney Park Pass, will students be able to add days if interested?
- Students will receive a one-day park pass with their student registration fee. This park pass is required and will be used on Monday evening.
- Directors, family, and friends may purchase Disney Park Passes at a discounted rate. More information will be provided by NAfME staff.
- Students may only purchase additional Disney Park Passes to use before or after the ANHE event. (Before Sunday, November 25, 4:00 PM or after Wednesday, November 28, 1:00 PM).
- Am I required to bring my own instrument? What do I do if my instrument is too large to transport?
- Students are required to supply their own instrument and accessories (reeds, strings, mutes, cello floor boards, etc.). Students must make arrangements to transport or rent an instrument at their own expense. NAfME will supply larger percussion instruments.
DEADLINES AND IMPORTANT DATES
- When is the application deadline?
- The application is due May 4, 2018, 9:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- When will I find out if I have been accepted?
- You will receive notification via email in late June 2018.
- When will the 2018 All-National Honor Ensembles program take place?
- November 25-28, 2018, Sunday (4:00 PM) – Wednesday (1:00 PM)
- Students should arrive at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort on Sunday, November 25, 2018 between 1:00 PM-3:00 PM.
- Students will be released to their parents at 1:00 PM on Wednesday, November 28, following the conclusion of the final concert. Students should make flight arrangements after 4:00 PM.
- For any questions regarding the 2018 ANHE program or application process, please contact: HonorEnsembles@nafme.org.