On June 19, the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) will host its signature ‘Hill Day.’ The single largest gathering of music education advocates on Capitol Hill, each annual NAfME Hill Day is vital to ensuring the continued preservation and expansion of school-based music programs across our nation.
In 2018, music education leaders from across the nation as well as industry and non-profit partners conducted 300 meetings with members of Congress and their staff. They advocated the for fully funding “Well-Rounded Education” programs within the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), and garnering Congressional support and co-sponsors for The Guarantee Access to Arts and Music Education (GAAME) Act. Outcomes included increased funding for Title IV-A in the FY19 Budget, and the introduction of The GAAME Act in the Senate. Your voice, your stories, and your advocacy matter!
Preparing for Hill Day
Collecting Title IV-A Stories from YOUR State
This year, stories of how Title IV, Part A is supporting music education will be a centerpiece of our Congressional visits. Help us learn how Title IV, Part A is supporting music education in your state. Share this link with music teachers whose programs have received Title IV support and ask them to share their stories.
Virtual, Pre-Event Offerings
Two orientation webinars will be held LIVE for you to help you prepare for Hill Day:
- May 1, 2019 at 7:30 PM EDT– How to schedule and prepare for meetings with members of Congress. This webinar is especially useful for new attendees and those who are the captains or organizers of their state’s Hill Day delegation this year. Click here to register.
- June 5, 2019 at 7:30 PM EDT – 2019 Hill Day Legislative Asks and Logistics. This webinar is for ALL attendees to help you learn the issues you will be addressing as an advocate this year, as well as the updated logistics for the event (new hotel, new travel pattern, new Congress!). Click here to register.
In-Person Offerings at the Washington Hilton, June 18, 2019
Join the NAfME Policy Team for two in-person orientation opportunities at the Washington Hilton:
Hill Day Orientation. Gather your materials, your questions and your enthusiasm as we prepare for Capitol Hill! This annual event features a review of legislative asks, Capitol Hill logistics, and warm-ups to be an effective advocate. 5:30 — 7:00 PM in Columbia 5-8, preceded by a Reception at 5 — 5:30 PM.
OPTIONAL: Deep Dive on Legislative Asks for Hill Day – We are offering an opportunity to go in-depth with our Legislative Asks. Ever feel you could use a bit more background on the federal education laws you are dealing with on Hill Day? Just come a little early to join the NAfME policy team for a deeper dive into the background behind the asks so you can be a more effective advocate. 3:30 — 5:00 PM, location TBD.
Hill Day Legislative Materials
Check the 2019 National Assembly Amplify Community for the legislative materials and handouts you will need for Hill Day. As the briefs are developed, they will be placed in the Amplify Community for your review prior to joining us on the Hill in June.
Hill Day Logistics
Check back here for the logistical information you will need to navigate to and from Capitol Hill, including maps, instructions for the Metro, and information on getting into and out of Congressional office buildings.
Hill Day Evening Celebration
After your day on the Hill, join your colleagues for a celebration of your advocacy on behalf of music education at the federal and state levels.
- Recognize the State Advocacy Award Leader for 2019.
- Celebrate the award presentation of CMA Foundation State Advocacy Grants to further support music education in states across the country.
- Enjoy a live musical performance.
For further information or any questions, please contact Tooshar Swain at ToosharS@nafme.org or at 571-323-5926.