Call for Nominees 2022-2024
NAfME National President
NAfME is seeking nominees for national president for the years 2022-2024. To qualify, a candidate must be an active member of NAfME and:
- Have a strong identification with the organization.
- Have an established record of excellence in some area of music education.
- Have served the division or the national in some recognized capacity.
- Have displayed recognizable evidence of leadership qualities.
- Have the ability to represent the Association in public statements and writings.
- Have the willingness and the ability to devote the necessary time to the office (a six-year commitment), with two years as president-elect (2020-2022), two years as president (2022-2024), and two years as immediate past president (2024-2026).
- Have the ability to lead and chair the National Executive Board along with the ability to translate goals and objectives into programs.
- Have the ability to work well in the group process.
- Have the ability to understand, give counsel, and provide oversight on effectuating the goals of the association.
- Have the willingness, if selected, to attend the 2019 National Assembly meeting in late June, to discuss with the Assembly, their vision for the association.
Each nomination must include a complete resume listing in detail the individual’s service to NAfME and state units and showing how they meet the qualifications, including professional achievements and contributions, lists of publications, and speeches. Supplementary materials, such as letters of support from other NAfME leaders or members, are welcome but not required. It should be noted that previous nominating committees have found letters of support to be very helpful in the decision-making process. Candidates will need to request letters of support on their own behalf.
Each candidate is also asked to write a letter outlining what he or she would bring to the NAfME presidency, a brief summary of their important work experiences, and their vision for music education. Additionally, all interested candidates must submit the form entitled, “Candidate Information Form”. (It is a fillable pdf form and should be downloaded to a device and then opened from the saved location for completion.)
The submission deadline is February 18, 2019, and all nominee materials should be emailed to Adriane Darvishian, AdrianeD@nafme.org.
The nominating committee will consider candidates in March 2019. Please note that from those applying for candidacy, three to six individuals will move forward and be asked to present to the National Assembly 2019. Those that are selected for this phase of the process will be asked to:
- Supply a letter of support from the candidate’s employer indicating support for the responsibilities of the office.
- Submit no more than five one-page letters of support from professional colleagues along with a copy of the Information Sheet referenced above.
The National Executive Board will place the most qualified nominees on the January 2020 ballot. Please contact Adriane Darvishian, AdrianeD@nafme.org if there are any questions.
Looking for information on the 2019 NAfME Elections for Eastern, Northwest, and Southwestern Division Presidents-Elect, and the proposed Bylaw amendment? Visit this page.