Reply To: Putting your best players in one band and what's left…

Frontpage Forums Band Putting your best players in one band and what's left… Reply To: Putting your best players in one band and what's left…

nafmeadmin
Keymaster

I hope things are going better for you since your first post. I have been reading David Newell’s book “Classroom Management in the Music Classroom” and it is a GREAT book. Here is a link to the book: http://www.kjos.com/sub_section.php?division=1&series=322
Best $30 I ever spent and most enjoyable read that actually helped me teach better.

It is not only a book about classroom management, but also a book on teaching in general and it is well worth the read. Gives you practical strategies for dealing with your students who are just there for the social time and strategies that work. I teach 5th grade band in Title 1 schools and after starting to use his strategies my life has gotten much better. The only problem is that the book is geared to the Middle School level so I have to modify things a little, but should work perfectly in your situation.

everittk964 also has some great suggestions so I hope you can find something that will work for you.

Hope this helps