Reply To: New Teacher Evaluations
I used a rubric for my beginning 6th grade flute, clarinet and trumpet class. It used 6 areas – Rhythm, Articulation, Dynamics, Phrasing, Tone Quality.
Then there was a rating of 1 with these descriptors
Five or more inaccurate notes.
Five or more inaccurate rhythms. Major rhythm/beat problems.
The articulations were not played correctly at all.
None of the dynamics are played.
None of the phrasing is correct.
Tone is not clear, controlled or supported.
Three or four inaccurate notes.
Three or four inaccurate rhythms. The beat is often unsteady.
The articulations are inconsistent. Some of the articulation markings are played correctly.
Some of the dynamics are played.
Some of the phrasing was correct.
Tone is fuzzy, sometimes uncontrolled, and needs MUCH more air support.
One or two inaccurate notes.
One or two inaccurate rhythms. The beat is sometimes unsteady.
The articulations are inconsistent. Most of the markings are played correctly.
Most of the dynamics are played.
Most of the phrasing was correct.
Tone is mostly clear, controlled, and could use more air support.
Notes are consistently accurate.
All rhythms are played correctly. The beat is steady.
All of the articulation markings (staccato, slurs, accents, etc.) are played correctly.
All of the dynamics are played. They are obvious and consistent.
The phrase marks were always played.
Tone is consistently clear, controlled, and has full air support.
Since I did the pre-test after they had only learned 3 notes, they obviously scored a 1 in each category. I told them that it was okay to fail since they had not learned enough to play the exercise successfully (I used beginning method book exercise that I would use around January-February).
In January we will do the mid-year assessment and after the spring concert will do the final assessment.
My goal was “By the end of the 2012-2013 school year, 100% of the 4B Beginning 6th grade Band class will score at least a score of 18 on a rubric scale of 24.” My strategy for achieving the goal was that in regular classroom instruction, the notes, rhythms, articulations, tone quality and dynamics would be learned in order for them to do an exercise (by the end of the year) that they would regulary perform mid-year.