Academic strugglers succeeding band

Frontpage Forums Band Academic strugglers succeeding band

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I’ve found that many kids who struggle in academic and behavioral areas often do very well in band.

Some of my best musicians really had a hard time in other classes.

This obviously has to do with Martin Gardiner’s theory of multiple intelligences; that is, we all have different levels of intelligence in different disciplines and modalities.

What has been your experience in this area?

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I would agree with your statement and I would like to point out that we can use that to our advantage by encouraging them in places we know that they struggle and even help out if possible. It makes good inroads with our colleagues and lets the kids know that we care about THEM not just if they can play their instrument or not.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

My princiPAL stopped by last Friday and noted that at least 10 of the kids in Band (sixth grade) were regulars in the office. He said it was great to see them working and having success in school. Fantastic to have the principal realize that kids who struggle with behavior and academics can do well in school.

Rob

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

It is nice when they recognize those things. You must be doing something correct. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Band’ is closed to new topics and replies.