Assessment in Weekly Class

Frontpage Forums General Music Assessment in Weekly Class

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

How should I plan to assess students in my sixth-grade Music Exploratory class? I only see them once a week for 50 minutes. Thanks.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I would use lots of informal assessments, with maybe one formal per quarter. I design my seating charts with a row of small boxes beneath the student’s names so that I can mark off a grade as we go for informal assessments.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I would add to dreamer of dreams if you can add pictures to your chart it helps a lot. Especially when they are moving around the room and out of their spots. It just takes a little set up.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Determine what it is that you want the students to abolutely know when they walk out of your room at the end of the year. Then narrow it down to what concepts do you want them to be able to explain explicitly at the end of a “unit” or “strand”. Figure out at what time in the year you may want to measure how students are progressing towards your targeted main concept objectives. Then start thinking about how you will assess those skills and concepts.

What are the skills and concepts that you would like your sixth graders to know at the end of the year?

What units are you planning on teaching?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Music’ is closed to new topics and replies.