Cello in Band?

Frontpage Forums Band Cello in Band?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I work in a small private school, and all middle school students are required to be in band. There is a new student who is in seventh grade, and the only experience she has is playing cello. Apparently, she loves cello and has been in regional honor ensembles, played first chair at her previous school, etc. I’ve tried starting her on a new wind instrument, but nothing is interesting her and she feels like she is so far behind the other students that she’s very discouraged. I was thinking of giving her another part and have her play it on cello. It would be a different timbre than you normally hear in band, but I think I’m OK with that. The question is, what part should I give her? Would a trombone part work on cello? Any input is much appreciated!

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Trombone parts won’t go for the range she will have on cello. If you can find music with bassoon, use bassoon. Unfortunately, though, at the mid school/junior high level, most bassoon parts double trombone/baritone parts. But there are pieces out there with actual bassoon parts.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Band’ is closed to new topics and replies.