Chord Buddy

Frontpage Forums Guitar Chord Buddy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

My father (who is not a music teacher) is a big fan of ABC’s ‘Shark Tank.’ On one particular episode, there was a product called ‘Chord Buddy’. Chord Buddy is a plastic add-on to frets with colored buttons that will play the basic 4 chords (G, em, C, D). Think of Chord Buddy as Guitar Hero for the real guitar.

I was was wondering if Chord Buddy would have any application to guitar education in the public schools or in special education?

To clarify, I know how the product works. I just want to know if this product could be used in a classroom setting.

Link: http://www.chordbuddy.com/

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

why couldn’t you use it? Kids want to know they can actually play something. Full chords tend to take time and this to me seems like a partial chords application. I do partial chords in the first couple of weeks of teaching class guitar. This would also be great for special learners.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I know that as you use Chord Buddy you can take out the pieces that fret the strings.Then you can learn the traditional way to finger those (G, Em, C, D) chords. I have found it to be a great tool with students with special needs. Even if you don’t use the device the book that you get is great.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Travis Perry the Chord Buddy inventor is a super guy. Another product that he’s come out with is a capo with a tuner. Gotta love that! http://chordbuddy.com/accessories/tuners-metronomes/chordbuddy-capo-tuner

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I have heard stories about how the Chord Buddy has made it possible for people to enjoy the guitar who (because of disability) would have not been able to. It does seem like it would have application in special education, and perhaps in elementary education. The fact that it is relatively inexpensive and has the feature that you can gradually introduce the fingers give it some potential in the classroom. In a program that is has limited contact time, or with very young students, it could be a fun motivator. There seem to many things about it that could be quite limiting as well.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

FYI At this time Chord Buddy is designed for steel string guitars only. I know that a nylon string version is in the works.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Guitar’ is closed to new topics and replies.