Common Core Standards

Frontpage Forums General Music Common Core Standards

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

So our school is looking at Common Core Standards. Every teacher in the school is working on how this relates to their subject this year for our professional development. Is there anything in there about music? How have you tied Common Core to what you teach?

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

As far as I know, there are no common core arts standards in place, at least not in my state. I think its a good idea, though, that all states will be required to teach the same thing. Sounds good in theory.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Hierst453 is right in that there are no Common Core Standards for music (or other arts), but I think we can relate ourselves to reading and math, too. There seems to be a bigger focus on reading for information, which we can all incorporate into our classes. I know we all have limited time, but incorporating more reading/analysis across all disciplines can really help out. As far as math goes, we can always get into fractions and patterns in our classes. Science is a little harder (Common Core is science, too. . . right? I’m not sure), but there could be ways.

Common Core does sound great. . . in theory.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I always do a science of sound lesson in 4th grade and try to talk a lot about animals in Kindergarten and PreK. We talk about what habitats they live in, etc. When we study music of different cultures and American Historical songs, that ties in with social studies.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Music’ is closed to new topics and replies.