Conversational Solfege and the New Music Standards

Frontpage Forums General Music Conversational Solfege and the New Music Standards

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Hello!

I’m currently finishing up my fourth year teaching K-8 general music, under a curriculum that I created (there was no music program at all when I started here!). I’ve been following Kodaly, with a mix of some elements of Conversational Solfege. I’d like to eventually switch to the Conversational Solfege and Process, but now with the new core music standards looming in the distance, I’m wondering if Conversational Solfege will fulfill those standards. I know many will, seeing that the new standards are all about music literacy, but there are also some new components that don’t seem to fit within the very precise CS method. The new standards also seem to be “a mile wide and an inch deep” when compared to CS.

Is there anyone who has been working with CS? If so, what steps have your school/district made to correlate them to the new arts standards?

Thank you for any advice!

Christopher Szpara
    K-8 Music Teacher,
    Odyssey Community School

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Hey Chris!! Your old buddy Patricia from ARC. I have been in touch with Paul Scanlon in West Haven Public Schools, who has been very successful with CS. He could steer you in the right direction. I am sure you can find him on the WH website. He also mention a great contact in Westport I believe.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

We have done some work with the new standards in our district along with First Steps and Conversational Solfege. In this link, are the two power standards that our team has chosen to report out on each quarter along with FS/CS alignment.

http://siouxcityartsandcommunityengagement.blogspot.com/

Pat

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Thank you so very much!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Music’ is closed to new topics and replies.