How do you choose new music?

Frontpage Forums Band How do you choose new music?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

How do you decide which music to use in your bands each year?

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

The first thing I do is make a strengths and weakness chart for each group. This is more of a what pieces not to pick chore. After that I do a lot of listening. I usually pick a lyric piece for each concert first and see that I have a progression through the year. Then I pick a substantial piece that will kind of the be focus for the term and make sure again that we are progressing through the year. Then I make sure we get some Grainger at some point in the year. Finally filling in the rest of the program with skill building pieces.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I agree 100% with the last post, but I would also think about what kind of music that will keep your students attention and also your own. If you are teaching a piece that you don’t even like, it will be hard for you to teach it every day and make it hard for the students to learn. My thought would be do go through the steps that have been stated and pick music that meets those standards, then pick a few pieces and let your students listen to them with you and let them have a say in what they like as well. This will help them feel involved with picking music and it will be something that both you and the band enjoy.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Band’ is closed to new topics and replies.