Junior high appropriate band warm-ups

Frontpage Forums Band Junior high appropriate band warm-ups

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Hi!

I’m a second-year teacher doing a massive program rebuild in two rural California school districts, teaching k-8 music. For some crazy reason I said yes to conducting the All-County junior band. I have a pretty exciting selection of grade 2 pieces lined up, but I’m mostly wondering this: What are some good warm-ups to use in this context? My goals for the warm-ups are to get the group used to playing together (and playing with me) as soon as possible, and to focus on creating a beautiful characteristic sound in all dynamic levels.

My program isn’t yet at the level where my junior high kids can play grade 2 stuff, so any input on anything would be super helpful to me. The pieces I’ve chosen are “Fire Dance” by David Shaffer, “A Prehistoric Suite” by Paul Jennings, and an old band arrangement (with E-flat horn parts, yikes!) of Moussorgsky’s “Great Gate of Kiev” arranged by Dale Eymann. I’m especially looking for tips on refining an ensemble sound for an honor group.

Thank you!

Stephanie

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Here is what we do grades 6-12 for our warm up. (as the kids get older, the warmup gets more detailed, etc) I will be more than happy to send you pdf’s of our warm up material. Just shoot me an email.

1. Long tones on first five notes of Bb concert scale (not straight up and down, also holding each note for 12 counts or longer)
    2. Lip Slurs (we add more columns of lip slurs as the kids get older)
    3. Major Scales (all 12 by high school)
    4. Chromatic Scale
    5. Chorales (I have PDF’s of the chorales we use…..nice arrangements, and most of them work well for any range of group starting with 8th grade)

Not sure how much you want to dig into scales and such for an honors band with limited rehearsal time, but if you want the info just let me know.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I am looking for some warm-ups like the ones you’ve mentioned above. Would you be willing to send these PDF?

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Hi sp415, How can we email you for pdf’s of the info you mention? You know how we band teachers are about collecting other resources to use!

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Hello to amandaboer I am haddocka718 and my email is ahaddock@nnr6.org thanks for the PDFs

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I would love pdfs of your warm-up material. I’m always looking for new stuff.Thanks A.E.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I hate to jump on the Band Wagon, but could I get the pdf’s as well?

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Hey, if the offer is still available, could I get those too? Jeffrey.penney@neomin.org

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

SP415,

I am a music education student at Kent State, and we are currently discussing band warm-ups and chorales in class. I was wondering if you could provide me some more insight to your warm-up routine.

My first question would be how long you generally allow for warm-ups and how long of a band period you have each day. Also, with your long tones, do you ever stray away from the Bb concert pitches? While I understand the lip slurs are for your brass players, what do you have your woodwinds play? I know some band directors have their woodwinds work on sluring intervals while others have them play scale patterns. As far as the chorales, do you ever you have your students learn the different lines? Such as, have the entire ensemble learn the soprano line together, then the alto line, etc. and slowly break the ensemble off into the different parts? Finally, do you ever have your students sing during their warm-up or rehearsal, and what do your percussionists do while your wind players are warming up?

If you could answer any of these questions, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much!
    Sammy

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Sorry all. Haven’t checked the forum in months. If you want PDFs, please email me at rdsmith415@gmail.com

Sammy:

I have a 40 minute rehearsal each day, and I set aside 6-8 minutes for a warm up…longer on days I work out of a sight reading method.

With my HS select group, I do long tones/Remington exercise in F concert. During the lip slurs, I have the WW’s play arpeggios, or do the lip slurs double time to get fingers moving. I don’t have them do scale patterns during lip slurs as we do all 12 majors as part of the warmup…I think it’s more important to get them doing jumps/arpeggios as that will increase facility.

Regarding chorale question: No. I use the chorale to work on musicianship, listening, tone, etc and want their ears trained to where they are normally going to listen. We have a very short rehearsal, so I have to pick and choose what I spend time on.

I do not have our kids sing during the warm up. I know, I should. But it’s not a battle I’m wanting to fight right now.

Percussionists do the entire warmup with the group on mallets, except for long tones. (because I don’t want to hear mallet rolls while we do long tones)

I teach about 40 minutes south of you, so if you’re interested in coming out to watch a rehearsal just let us know.

Thanks!

Ryan

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Thanks so much for getting back to me, Ryan! I have a pretty packed schedule during school hours this semester, but I will definitely keep you in mind for the future!

Much appreciated,
    Sammy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Band’ is closed to new topics and replies.