kids dropping like flies

Frontpage Forums Choral kids dropping like flies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

In all my 18 years of teaching, I’ve never had a lot of kids drop out of 5th/6th grade chorus. For some reason, this year, I have a bunch of students bringing “drop” notes to quit chorus from the 5th grade. Our guidance department has been great about discouraging drop outs, since this is a class. However, if the parent persists, then there are allowed to drop, as it is an elective. Another teacher informed me that she heard some kids talk about a “petition” the kids are signing, though, she didn’t know anything more about it. My question is: has anyone experienced this? Also, does anyone have any fresh ideas of motivational activites/warmups that can be used quickly during a rehearsal that may help deter this? I’m not having a problem with the 6th graders at all, and I’ve never had this happen before. Guidance has told me not to bring up the issue of the “petition” in class.
    I’m hoping any motivational ideas can help me.
    I appreciate your help!!!

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

On a side note: I have all students k-6 for general music as well, so I feel I have a pretty good rapport with them….at least I think so!!! 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Choral’ is closed to new topics and replies.