pep band

Frontpage Forums Band pep band

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Our band plays for football games. My only experience with pep band has been for basketball pep band (college didn’t have a football team). I need to know when most of you play during the game. For the past few games my group has played for time outs, touchdowns, field goals. Someone complained to my principal that we don’t play enough. What is standard protocol?

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I don’t know what standard protocol is, but I had the same problem for a long time. After years of trying to honor all of the picky requests that came in about when not to play, I got fed up a couple years ago and started having the band play every single time the action stops unless there’s an injured player or a flag on the play. The band kids have more fun, I have more fun, and the football coach goes out of his way to find me on Monday mornings and tell me how much he and the team enjoy having us there. We have no cheerleaders, so we don’t have to worry about coordinating with them- I think that’s another issue.
    If there is a standard protocol, I’d be interested in hearing about it, too.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

A lot depends on what the officials in your area will allow. I have one of the only bands in our small school league so the officials are rather picky when we play, in fact I have had a penalty against me for 15 yards for playing after a touchdown but before the extrapoint. But I agree with JNU, play as often as possible. We play the last phrase of our fight song every first down, we play the rif from the Imperial Death March (aka Darth Vader) when our defense is on its way out from the side line. I used to teach the kids the THX sound test thing from the movie theater to play as the kicker was running up on kick offs. then we play timeouts, Quarters, halftime, ect.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Band’ is closed to new topics and replies.