Praxis 0114 Music Content and Instruction

Frontpage Forums Future Teachers Praxis 0114 Music Content and Instruction

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

In preparing to take this exam in July, I am feeling overwhelmed. Although I have completed a masters in music education and majored in music as an undergraduate, I never had courses in band or choral pedagogy (I’m a strings player), or in world music. The study guide I bought through ETS a few months ago is outdated and only contains content-based questions, plus a list of textbooks. I have started by reviewing undergraduate theory, but want to make the best use of my time. Any suggestions?

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I hope you haven’t taken the test yet! There are a few mildly specific questions on this test about those areas. I would talk to any friends or colleagues in this area. Choral pedagogy – study choral warm-ups, conducting and repertoire selection. See the Choral boards for these topics. World Music would just involve instruments from other countries. Those have not changed much in the past 20 years. I remember guessing on a Japanese instrument question when I took this test. Basically anything which could be job-related will come up. Good luck!

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Thanks, Maria. Took the exam on Saturday. It was loaded with VERY specific music technology questions, and few on pedagogy. Ear training review would be useful for anyone taking this in the future, including complex, syncopated rhythms and chord progressions with different inversions. The ability to transpose band instruments quickly in an orchestral score was important, along with conducting in odd key signatures. I hope sharing this isn’t cheating, but I was thrown by the level of difficulty. Also, one needs to work through the multiple choice questions extremely quickly, to have time for the three long questions at the end. Again, thank you so much for responding!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Future Teachers’ is closed to new topics and replies.