Renting Choral Octavos

Frontpage Forums Choral Renting Choral Octavos

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Hello everyone! I am gearing up for my 2nd year of teaching and I am at a new position this year. I will be teaching PK-12 vocal music. Exciting and scary at the same time! This is my first year teaching choir. I have a JR high choir of about 44 and a high school choir of over 60. There is ALOT of music but much of it is very similar and older. It is my goal to introduce my students to a variety of different musical genres, and styles in the coming year. I don’t need to tell you how expensive music is and I am well aware that a diverse music library isn’t built in a year. I have been thinking of a few different options and have contacted some surrounding schools about music sharing (with no response). I have also considered music rental, but I have never done it and can’t decide if it a good use of funds or not. Do any of you rent music on a regular music and if so what companies do you go through? Do you feel that it is a good investment in the long run and that the variety of music your are able to teach out weighs the fact that it isn’t actually becoming a part of your music library for use down the road? Any and all opinions are welcome! Thank you!

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Do you have schools near you to share music with? Other music teachers would have pieces that they know work and they would most likely be happy to share if they know you will return all copies or replace any that are lost. I am not aware of rentals for choral music as most choral music costs $1.95 to $2.50 a copy paying rental on each piece would be a waste of money. Use your resources to purchase a couple of really good titles a year and build up your existing library.

LeAnna Willmore
    Chair, NAfME Choral Education Council Chair

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Choral’ is closed to new topics and replies.