Room with tiers

Frontpage Forums General Music Room with tiers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Does anyone teach general music in a room with a tiered floor? I have a chance to move to a room that has a tiered floor, it has some pros (more storage, more practical space), but my current room has a flat floor and bathrooms and a drinking fountain (although the other room has restrooms pretty close, but they are out in the hall). I have a large circle rug, and the tiered room has enough flat space to fit the rug (plus all the tiers and storage space). Can you successfully do any circle games in a room with tiers?

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Any game can be done depending on the open space available. Would it be possible to just take a class in and try different dance formations? With a circle game you can always make into concentric circles instead of one large circle. You might also want check out if you can do a longways set.

I have had room like this before. In certain ways it is very handy, because you can set of different activities on the various levels. The added storage is also a bonus. Then you only have out exactly what you need. The organization is huge help when teaching lessons.

I have has a room like this before and loved it. I turned one of the storage rooms into a small studio to use for assessment with the Smartmusic program.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I had a tiered room at a previous school and didn’t like it, specifically because it was a K-8 school and there are many games that just couldn’t be played. It may have been the layout of the room, that room had 4 tiers that were only large enough for 1 student to stand on with one large level at the back. I found that we really couldn’t play many games that required a student to walk around the circle because younger students would trip on the tiers. They also couldn’t perform dances as students would fall off tiers. The room was actually designed to be a choral room I think, and not with a general music classroom in mind. The tiers looked more like risers but they were built into the floor. The idea about bringing students into the room is one you should try.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I will try bringing kids in to try it, thanks for that suggestion! The tiers are larger, and there is just enough space on the bottom to fit my large round rug, which we do a lot of circle games with, but anything that we needed a larger circle with could be a problem. My husband thinks I’m nuts for considering giving up a bathroom in the room, so maybe I just need to play with space and storage in the room I have.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

As for bathrooms, I would reconsider my policy. With younger students at the beginning of the year, especially K, there will be exceptions to this policy. Here it is: I only have class for 40 minutes and if I have to hold it they have to hold it. Te teachers are asked by the principal to take all students to the restroom before related arts classes. This was done to preserve my class time as well as the teachers time, because they are already moving about the building. No student get to go when they ask, unless they have a known medical condition. It has been my experience that most will ask the first time and forget. If they ask a second time and are doing the dance I will let them go, but don’t tell them that.

I know this may sound harsh but it does work to protect your precious class time.

A bathroom in the room makes it a little to convenient for them to just go to get out of class. In my previous room I had a bathroom and had to have the same policy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Music’ is closed to new topics and replies.