Starting a guitar class… method book, equipment, etc

Frontpage Forums Guitar Starting a guitar class… method book, equipment, etc

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I’m starting a guitar class at my high school, we’re a small rural school and I’m probably going to have 4-8 kids enrolled in the class. I’m excited at the opportunity (and that I don’t have to teach random other classes) but I’m a beginner at guitar myself. I’ve used an old family copy of Mel Ray’s book 1 to teach myself for a year and done alright, but that is just what i have on hand.  This would be a case of me learning from the book a few weeks ahead of the kids. The school is planning on purchasing a few guitars also.

So… I need suggestions on the following:
    Method Books?
    Instruments?
    other equipment or curricular considerations?

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

The first thing you need to do is to sign up for the nearest Teaching Guitar Workshop! This is a wonderful way to get started. I don’t care where you have to go, just go! I was a beginner just like you, and the resources I got, including a free guitar, were, and still are, priceless! The instructors are first rate, and the members of the class are very supportive. The chair of the Teaching Wuitar workshop is Glen McCarthy. I believe you can reach him through this forum.He has a post going right now. Good luck! I went to both level 1 and level 2 workshops, and it was well worth my time and effort.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Kurt, Thanks for the kind words. pricem397 you can now sign up for Teaching Guitar Workshops. The link is http://www.guitaredunet.org
    There are also numerous posts from the clinicians, alumni, and other guitar educators on the site.
    You can also find relevant conversation on facebook at Teaching Guitar Workshops.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

AGREED…the Teaching Guitar workshops changed my life. I once hated guitar; now, the majority of what i do in my life is guitar based. On my campus (inner city Phoenix) we now have 3 full time music positions and we are now adding a fourth position (all due to the fact of me starting a guitar program!). It is a wonderful thing…..and the workshop will change your life and your outlook! In the workshop they answer all of your questions and guide you to what fits you best for your program!

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I was in your situation 6 years ago when starting. Not a guitarist myself so I know what you are going through. I had the school purchase 30 Yamaha C-40 classicals with cases. If you get acoustics, keep in mind that the are louder, more difficult to keep in tune and the steel strings will rust out much faster than nylon strings. The book is use is the Hands On Guitar Method by Class Guitar Resources. For my teaching style it’s a good beginner book. Your Mel Bay book is a good first one too. The Hal Leonard Superbook for guitar is another good bet. For free musi materials check out the guitar music sites by Eythor Thorlaksson from Iceland and Andrew Forrest from England. Both have some nice lessons, solos and music for young ensembles that you can supplement your teaching with. The Summer Guitar workshops will be invaluable if you can go. Hope this helps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Guitar’ is closed to new topics and replies.