Stuck trumpet mothpiece

Frontpage Forums Band Stuck trumpet mothpiece

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I have a trumpet with a very stuck mouthpiece–I have tried my bobcat puller a couple of times and it isn’t working. I know there are a few other methods but I am a little rusty and don’t want to harm the trumpet. What are your methods?

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I was just going to post the same thing. I can’t get one out either. Sometimes I can tap gently around the receiver with a (non metal) mallet, but that isn’t working for me either.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

You could try holding the mouthpiece end in a glass of ice water or wrap an ice pack it around it to lower its temperature and then run warm water (not too hot) over the lead pipe. The cold should contract the m.p. and the warm water should expand the lead pipe — you might want to borrow work gloves from your custodian so you can get a good grip to pull it out while it is wet. Can’t hurt to try it.

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Put your bobcat puller on, and put tension on the mouthpiece. Tap on the bobcat using a mallet (soft faced hammer/rawhide mallet) to try to knock it loose. Sometimes the tension and the tap can get it out.

You could also use the proceedure suggested by Christine and if it does come out doing that alone, then freeze/heat then try the tap-out.

Also suggest that you invest in a mouthpiece tool to round-out mouthpiece shanks. I go through the band regularly using the tool and it has reduced the number of stuck mouthpieces.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Band’ is closed to new topics and replies.