Students who refuse

Frontpage Forums General Music Students who refuse

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

Hi all…thanks in advance for any advice! I have been teaching for 6 years, but this is my first year teaching K, 1, and 2. They’re really sweet kids overall. However, there are two particular students who absolutely refuse to follow directions, participate, etc. The students are in kindergarten and first grade. Also, they have HUGE attitude problems. The kindergarten student actually yells at me. I feel like I’ve tried everything I can think of- firm reminders, sending the students back to their seats (and then they have to tell me when they’re ready to participate), talking with them after class, talking with the teacher, implementing the teacher’s form of discipline, etc. The kindergarten teacher and I speak often, and he has told me he emails home daily. Today I really came down hard on the first grade student. He talks out of turn, makes random noises, gets out of his seat, and lays on his table the whole class. When I asked him why he won’t follow directions, he said he wants to go to lunch early, and other students don’t like music. He also told me he “does” want to follow directions (???)

I feel like all I do is yell because I literally cannot get anywhere with them. They can recite how to have good manners, how to behave, etc. but obviously it’s not clicking. My time is wasted with my other students because of this.

Please help!! Thank you!

nafmeadmin
    Keymaster

I also had couple of students who didn’t want to participate in class. First I talk to their teachers about them and ask what they do in their classroom and what actions they take if they don’t participate. Sometimes I send them back after several warnings. let the teachers know you are planning to send them back if behavior didn’t change. Maybe parent conference with all the teachers. So you won’t be the only one actually seeing this behavior. Usually they don’t participate in music I am sure they do similar things in other classes. I hope this is helpful.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘General Music’ is closed to new topics and replies.