Teach Music in India as an ASTEP Music Fellow
Teach music as a Broadway’s Babies/ASTEP Music Fellow at the Shanti Bhavan Children’s Project in Tamil-Nadu, India. Shanti Bhavan’s mission is to adequately develop the most vulnerable and disadvantaged children of India’s “lowest caste” by providing them with a world class education and instilling globally shared values to enable them to aspire to careers and professions of their choice. Funded through the efforts of the Broadway community, ASTEP (Artists Striving To End Poverty) provides primary music instructors for choir, private piano and voice lessons, and lower school general music education classes. Minimum 3 months time commitment, starting January 2018.
Teaching Artist responsibilities include:
- Curriculum building and lesson planning for approximately ten 40-minute general music education classes each week for students in grades 2-5.
- Curriculum building and lesson planning for approximately twenty half-hour private lessons each week for students in grades 6-12.
- Curriculum building and lesson planning for three (3) choir rehearsals each week.
- Planning and teaching age-appropriate and culturally-appropriate lessons that focus on the development of soft skills.
- Preparing choir performances as requested and needed by school administration.
- Regular collaboration and communication with Shanti Bhavan and ASTEP staff members.
- Support and implementation of school-wide behavior management techniques in the classroom.
- Support and implementation of ASTEP methodology and pedagogical techniques in the classroom.
- Implementation of ASTEP evaluation tools in the classroom.
- Full participation in ASTEP training sessions.
- Full participation in ASTEP post-program surveys.
Minimum Bachelor's degree in Music Performance or Education