Copyright Benefits for Members

NAfME Offers Exclusive Copyright Benefits for Members—And More

Through an agreement with ASCAP and BMI, the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) and state MEA sponsored groups are granted performance rights of music managed by these organizations. This covers only music performances sponsored by NAfME or NAfME federated state associations.

 If NAfME members wish to record their students’ music performance of any work, permission must be obtained through Harry Fox Agency. For more information, see NAfME Member Benefit Eases Performance Licensing or visit the Harry Fox Agency or the National Music Publishers’ Association.

Music Licensing and Publishing Organizations


RightsFlow — RightsFlow specializes in obtaining bulk physical, DPD, and ringtone licenses, including streaming, tethered, and limited download rights. Their Limelight service allows users to obtain licenses for physical releases, digital downloads, ringtones, and interactive streaming use, reducing the complexity of licensing, and offers several key features including licenses that don’t expire, competitive fees, and coverage of 100% of the publishing market.

Music Publishers’ Association of the United StatesIncludes a Copyright Resource Center which offers forms needed to obtain permission to arrange music, copy out-of-print music, or report a copyright violation. Also offers documents on copyright issues and a list of additional Web links, and an FAQ section.

Music Library Association’s Copyright GuideIncludes a list of online resources and an excellent FAQ section.

The Harry Fox Agency — HFA was established by the National Music Publishers’ Association to provide an information source, clearinghouse, and monitoring service for licensing musical copyrights. HFA licenses the largest percentage of the uses of music in the United States on CDs, digital services, records, tapes, and imported phono records. See HFA’s Licensing and FAQ lists.

ASCAP — Information on copyright and performing rights.

BMI — See the Music Licensing General FAQs.