2019 AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
- Be in grades 9, 10 or 11 during the 2018-2019 school year.
- Attend school in one of the fifty states of the United States, the District of Columbia, or a Department of Defense School.
- Be a member of their school’s choral, string, guitar, or instrumental ensemble during the 2019-2020 school year corresponding with the ensemble for which they are applying.
- School ensemble directors must be a current, active member of NAfME (cannot be an associate or retired member). Member ID will be required for the 2019 ANHE Application.
- Be accepted to their state’s 2018-2019 All-State Festival.
- In the case of Guitar Ensemble, many states do not have an All-State Festival. Students who participate in their school’s guitar ensemble program are permitted to apply.
- In the case of Modern Band, many schools do not have modern band ensembles. Students are permitted to apply as long as they are sponsored by an NAfME members.
If there isn’t an All-State Festival held during the 2018-2019 academic year, the 2018-2019 Division Festival will be acceptable (Northwest Division).
- If your state Music Education Association (MEA) does not sponsor the All-State Festival, the state MEA will determine which students are eligible to apply.
- Students may only audition for the part and ensemble for which they were accepted in their 2018-2019 All-State Festival.
- Students who were accepted for multiple All-State ensembles may apply for multiple ANHE ensembles, however, they must submit separate applications for each.
- Students whose vocal range/part has changed following their All-State Festival, may apply for the part that best suits their voice.
- The final determination of eligibility for the All-National Honor Ensembles (ANHE) program is made by the student’s state Music Education Association (MEA). Please reach out to your state MEA with eligibility questions.
- Some states may require that students are both selected AND perform in their All-State. Students must follow the directive of their individual state MEA with regard to participation.
- Students who fail to comply with their individual state requirements will not be eligible to participate in the NAfME All-National Honor Ensembles program.
- In the event that a state MEA cannot determine eligibility due to that state not offering or sponsoring a particular ensemble (ex. All-State Guitar or All-State Modern Band), students will be permitted to apply as long as they are sponsored by an NAfME member.
2019 APPLICATIONS GUIDELINES
- You are required to upload an unedited and unaccompanied VIDEO performing the REQUIRED REPERTOIRE for your instrument or voice part.
- Jazz and Modern Band students may use a backing track for their audition unless otherwise specified.
- This must be a video audition with a clock or stop watch visible.
- The following video files are accepted — MP4, MOV, AVI, MPG, 3GP, FLV, WEBM, WMV, MKV, and M4V.
- Please note, the total size of video files submitted cannot exceed 8GB. If your video audition file is too large, please upload to YouTube or Vimeo. List the link in the File Upload URL section.
- Please note, there is an option to upload an additional 2-minute video for Concert Band, Symphony Orchestra and Mixed Choir students. This may be a piece of your choosing and may be accompanied or unaccompanied. You could also use this opportunity to demonstrate proficiency on the instrument you are auditioning for or an auxiliary instrument. For example a flute student may submit the second video on the piccolo. This second video is not required.
- Wind, Brass, and Percussion instruments are automatically considered for both Concert Band and Symphony Orchestra.