Call for Nominations: General Music Today Editor and
Three GMT Editorial Committee Members
By Shelly Cooper
General Music Today (GMT) is a peer-reviewed journal that publishes articles of interest to general music professionals at all levels. These articles describe successful practices, share teaching strategies and/or materials, and suggest new ideas or issues of concern in general music.
GMT is now accepting nominations for:
- Editor and Chair of the Editorial Committee of General Music Today, 2016–2022:
Qualifications: General music teaching experience, NAfME membership, member of the Council for General Music, and a record of regular attendance at national NAfME conferences. Additional qualifications for Editor include documentation of sustained, high-quality publication; experience indicating the ability to address issues of research and practice in music education; record of leadership within NAfME; assurance that s/he is willing and able to commit the necessary time to carry out the duties of Editor, including leading the Editorial Committee meetings, usually held biennially in conjunction with the Music Research & Teacher Education National Conference.
Required materials include a letter of application, two letters of recommendation from colleagues, and a letter of support from the candidate’s institution regarding appropriate release time, resources, and clerical support/administrative assistant for the position (approximately 5 hours per week) for the duration of the term (6 years).
Responsibilities: Read submissions and assign as appropriate to editorial board members; make decisions on results of manuscript reviews and convey decisions to authors; maintain communication with editorial board and GMT columnists, represent the journal to the organization and field; work with SAGE staff to publish a minimum of three issues per year; recruit authors and readership to the journal; and report journal activity and progress biennially.
The term of office for GMT Editor is 6 years, beginning July 1 of the year of selection.
- Three positions on the GMT Editorial Committee (2016–2022):
Request for Applications
Editorial Board Members: General Music Today
General Music Today is seeking nominations for members of the editorial board. The members of the editorial board will begin duties on September 1, 2016, and continue through July 31, 2022.
- Be a member of the Council for General Music (Any NAfME member who selects General Music as one of their professional teaching areas is a member of CGM.)
- Be a professional music educator either at the Pre-K – 12 level or college level who is committed to excellence in the teaching and scholarship of General Music, evidenced by active participation in the field of music education.
- Have the expertise and be able to commit the necessary time to carry out the duties of the position.
- Provide a letter indicating your interest in the position including a statement that you can fulfill the duties required of the position.
- Provide a vitae/resume that characterizes your qualifications for the position.
- Obtain three letters of support—sent directly to Shelly Cooper, the current GMT Editor—from nationally recognized individuals in music education.
Send the above items via e-mail by January 15, 2016, to firstname.lastname@example.org
General Music Today Nominations
Dr. Shelly Cooper, Editor
School of Music
1017 N Olive Road
PO Box 210004
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721-0004