About the Competition
NAfME is seeking original music by student songwriters. Teachers and students are invited to submit original student songs for cash prizes. Prizes will be awarded to winners and honorable mentions.
Students in elementary school and secondary school are eligible to submit songs. Songs submitted that fall outside the competition guidelines will be adjudicated but will not be eligible for awards or for performance.
Up to six selected composers will receive cash awards. All entrants will receive written evaluations of their compositions.
How to Apply
- Applications are now closed
- Applications closed April 9, 2021, 11:59 PM Eastern Daylight Savings Time.
- Click here for tips on lyric sheets.
- Questions? Contact: Rob Edwards
2020 NAfME Student Songwriters Competition Winners
Tamara Yasin, “Who Am I?,” Madison, Wisconsin
- Teacher, Alena Holmes
- School, Randal Elementary School
Isabella Blickenstaff, “Wouldn’t It,” Pasadena, Maryland
- Teacher, Megan Louder
- School, Chesapeake Bay Middle School
Elise Croyle, “I Wonder,” Snohomish, Washington
- Teacher, Iris Ingram-Forbus
- School, Valley View Middle School
Mercedes Grace Lee Ohlmeyer, “Imaginary Monsters,” Terrytown, Louisiana
- Teacher, Elyse Ptak
- School, Holy Name of Jesus School
Esther Okai-Tetteh, “End of the Rope,” Nashville, Tennessee
- Teacher, Elias Salazar
- School, Ensworth High School
Chole Borsody, “Icarus,” Gilroy, California
- Teacher, Steve Potter
- School, Oakwood School
Lourde Childs, “The Map,” Peoria, Arizona
- Teacher, Regina Nixon
- School, Sunrise Mountain High School
Elaina Clement, “Clay,” Elkhorn, Nebraska
- Teacher, Molly Gonring
- School, Elkhorn South High School
Calvin Hinds, “Clarisa Clover,” Mattawan, Michigan
- Teacher, Courtney Kaiser-Sandler
- School, Interlochen Arts Academy
Analie Ingalsbe & Archie Lewis-Harris, “Touch,” Woodstock, New York
- Teacher, Erica Boyer
- School, Onteora High School