About the Competition
NAfME is seeking original music by student songwriters. Teachers and students are invited to submit original student songs for cash prizes. Prizes will be awarded to winners and honorable mentions.
Students in elementary school and secondary school are eligible to submit songs. Songs submitted that fall outside the competition guidelines will be adjudicated but will not be eligible for awards or for performance.
Up to six selected composers will receive cash awards. All entrants will receive written evaluations of their compositions.
How to Apply
- Applications for the 2021 NAfME Student Songwriters Competition are closed.
- Application for the 2022 NAfME Student Songwriters Competition will be announced in January 2022.
- Click here for tips on lyric sheets.
- Questions? Contact: Programs@nafme.org
2021 NAfME Student Songwriters Competition Winners
Benjamin Harrison for the song, In the Night
- Gordon School, East Providence, Rhode Island
- Teacher, Susan Hodgin
Evelyn Goldin for the song, Charades
- T. W. Pyle Middle School, Bethesda, Maryland
- Teacher, Michelle Kim
Mila Misk for the song, Unify
- Glen Head Elementary School, Glen Head, New York
- Teacher, Whitney Hackman
Sanjna Rajagopalan for the song, Changes
- Ridgewood High School, Ridgewood, New Jersey
- Teacher, Susan McBrayer
Kiera McInally for the song, Robots
- Huntington Beach High School, Huntington Beach, California
- Teacher, Danielle Collins
Izzy Potter for the song, Place Called Home
- Northport High School, Northport, New York
- Teacher, Frank Doyle
*Submission implies permission for NAfME to perform and record all selected works.