Professional Development Opportunities from NAfME
By JJ Norman
The National Association for Music Education (NAfME) strives to provide music educators and education leaders with engaging professional development opportunities and resources to support best practices and serve the needs of students through dynamic and effective materials, publications, and learning opportunities. As a music educator, you are constantly reinventing and improving, upgrading and refining. NAfME has a wide variety of resources to help you enhance your skill set and do your job better and more efficiently.
- Attend the 2016 NAfME National In-Service Conference in Grapevine, Texas (near Dallas) November 10–13 to network with other teachers, learn about the latest methods, techniques, and thinking in the profession, and earn 19 continuing education units (CEUs) for what you absorb. Grapevine is also the location of the All-National Honor Ensembles’ annual performances. Come and be inspired! For more information, check out the conference website. (Also see the Justification Toolkit to make your case to attend.)
- Free online resources from advocacy to lesson plans to research journals and magazines: Check out all that NAfME has to offer by perusing offerings available to you 24/7 as a NAfME member.
- You can get FREE professional development recognition for reading certain articles in Music Educators Journal starting in June! Simply read an article, successfully complete a short quiz, and receive one contact hour of professional development. These peer-reviewed articles provide a top-notch insight into issues teachers face on a daily basis.
- A wide range of webinars are available to you as well. These are designed to deliver timely, relevant, and applicable content directly to you whether you view them at work, home, on the go, or with your Professional Learning Community. A full list of webinars can be found here.
- Content for webinars is provided by NAfME members from all over. In order to continue this invaluable resource, we need new content monthly. Do you have a great idea you would like to share with the entire national membership of NAfME? Present a webinar. Proposals can be sent by following this link: bit.ly/NAfME-PD-Webinars.
- The NAfME Store is always open for business. You might find just what you need! For useful publications, music education book titles and descriptions can be accessed here.
- Keep an eye out for the Professional Development Newsletter. Expect new resources delivered directly to your inbox once a month.
Make this summer and coming fall the best ever for your professional future!