All-American Marching Musicians said the week of rehearsals was challenging,
but working with skilled band directors and other select musicians helped them
create a first-class show.
On January 9, 2010, the 97 members of the U.S. Army All-American Marching Band (USAAAMB) performed a halftime show during the All-American Bowl football game in San Antonio, Texas. They performed after nearly a week of rehearsals with some of the leading band instructors in the United States.
MENC is currently accepting applications for members of the 2011 USAAAMB. To be eligible, a student must be a high school senior for the 2010-2011 school year.
In addition, students must be members of their high school marching band from the time of application through the USAAAMB performance on January 8, 2011, and in good standing with their communities and their schools. MENC will accept applications and video uploads through April 15.
The 2010 All-Americans Marching Musicians spoke of their experiences in glowing terms. Among their comments:
• This had to be among the best experiences of my life.
• I would do it again in a heartbeat.
• It was all so well done.
• Everything was absolutely awesome!
• This was without a doubt the most amazing week I’ve ever had.
• I would recommend it to anyone!
• Truly one of the best experiences of my life!
• I loved the music, I loved the marching and I loved the friends!
• The whole event was handled very well.
• I love all the apparel and gear I can wear back home to represent that awesome experience.
• I always felt like I knew what was going on; communication was very clear.
• Everything was handled in a first class way!
• The experience was the highlight of my music life in high school!
• I loved the challenge.
• Tough but not impossible
• Great show and an even better staff!
• With focus, great musicians, passion for music, and great instructors anything can be done!
• It was tough and extremely demanding to learn the show, just what I expected in such a select group.
• Physically demanding but so rewarding
• Bowl week was amazing and I will cherish those memories for a lifetime!
• When I become a teacher someday I hope to be able to send some of my students.
• Definitely more exciting and more amazing than what I anticipated!
• I think this is an incredible event that will only get better with each passing year!
• It was difficult to leave Texas and the many friends I made as an All-American.
• This changed me.
Discuss this topic and other band-related issues on the MENC Band Forum.
–Roz Fehr, March 17, 2010. © MENC: The National Association for Music Education