What is the Music Education Policy Roundtable?
Mission and Core Values:
The Music Education Policy Roundtable is a public policy coalition led by the National Association for Music Education (NAfME), which advocates on behalf of ensuring the continued presence and perseverance of high quality music programs in America’s schools. Consisting of a many great music education organizations, the Roundtable is unified under a single policy banner and works to achieve a consensus set of federal legislative recommendations, on behalf of the profession and all of those who stand to benefit from its contributions to education. The Roundtable believes that music education should be taught by certified music educators, delivering sequential, standards-based music education to all students across the nation, regardless of personal circumstance or background.
Areas of Work:
- Policy development
- Federal advocacy
- State-level advocacy support
- Advocacy training
- Music education advocacy PR
- Web content and support
- Membership development
Roundtable Guiding Commitments:
- To stand in unison, first and foremost, for the perseverance of sequential, standards-based music education in America’s schools.
- To utilize our annual Federal Legislative Agenda to benefit music education, however possible, ensuring consistency of policy goals amongst Roundtable member-groups, whenever possible.
- To foster, facilitate and engage grassroots advocacy capacity building activities being conducted by Roundtable member-groups in the field, in efforts to protect music programs.
- To regularly interact with and share our policy work with arts education supporters from across the country, in order to bolster the overall impact of our collective advocacy work.
2017 Presidential Transition
The Music Education Policy Roundtable and NAfME recently submitted a letter to President-Elect Donald Trump’s Transition team, suggesting education policy proposals that would ensure the continued presence and perseverance of school music programs.
To view the letter, please visit here.
2016 Legislative Backgrounders:
Grassroots Advocacy Resources
Current Roundtable Members:
- American Choral Directors Association
- American Orff-Schulwerk Association
- American School Band Directors Association
- American String Teachers Association (Co-founding Member-Group)
- Barbershop Harmony Society
- Chorus America
- College Band Directors National Association
- Conn-Selmer (Supporter)
- Drum Corps International
- Education Through Music
- El Sistema USA: A National Alliance of El Sistema Inspired Programs
- Gordon Institute for Music Learning
- Guitar and Accessories Marketing Association
- Jazz at Lincoln Center
- J. W. Pepper & Son (Supporter)
- League of American Orchestras
- Little Kids Rock
- Music for All
- Music Teachers National Association
- Music Publishers Association
- National Association for Music Education (Co-founding Member-Group)
- National Association of Music Merchants
- National Association of Music Parents
- National Federation of State High School Associations
- National Music Council
- Organization of American Kodály Educators
- Percussive Arts Society
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
- Progressive Music (Supporter)
- Quadrant Arts Education Research
- Quaver’s Marvelous World of Music (Supporter)
- The Recording Academy
- Strathmore Hall Foundation
- VH1 Save the Music Foundation
- Winter Guard International
- WURRLYedu (Supporter)
For archived Roundtable statements and legislative materials, please visit here.