The National Association for Music Education (NAfME) advocates to educate elected officials and other key decision makers about the impact and importance of music education programs.
Below you will find several topics in public policy where the NAfME advocates at the federal level.
Current Legislative Agendas
- Fiscal Year 2020 Appropriations
- Guarantee Access to Arts and Music Education Act
- Higher Education Act Reauthorization
- Rebuild America Schools Act
The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
After years of stalled negotiations and Congressional stalemates, Congress put No Child Left Behind away for good, and passed, by an overwhelming majority, a new version of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.
This new bill, entitled the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), is an enormous victory for music education advocates. We are truly on the verge of a new day for music education, with opportunities to use federal funding to increase access to music education for all students, especially the most vulnerable.
Please visit our “Everything ESSA” page for the latest on this HISTORIC piece of legislation for music education. On the page you find:
- Comprehensive legislative analysis of the bill
- Toolkits, fact sheets, and implementation guides on how to navigate and understand ESSA
- Resources to help you understand the funding and appropriations process of ESSA
NAfME Quarterly Advocacy Webinar Series
Every quarter, NAfME hosts advocacy webinars on the latest topics within music education advocacy.
Presented by NAfME’s Public Policy staff, our team of dedicated experts provide music education advocates with the latest in politics, education public policy, resources, and information surrounding music education advocacy.
To register or find out more information on our next webinar, please visit this page.