What is the Title IV-A Coalition?
The Title IV-A Coalition is an alliance comprised of more than 60 national organizations working together to advocate for maximum funding of the flexible block grant, which is authorized at $1.6 billion for FY 2018 under Title IV, part A of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA).
The block grant, known as the Student Support and Academic Enrichment (SSAE) grant program, is designed to ensure that high needs districts have access to:
- Providing students access to a well-rounded education (e.g. music and arts),
- Supporting safe and healthy students (e.g. comprehensive school mental health, drug and violence prevention, training on trauma-informed practices, health and physical education) and,
- Supporting the effective use of technology (professional development, blended learning,
The Coalition believes that if fully funded and administered the way Congress intended under ESSA, the SSAE grant program has the potential to adequately support school districts in their central mission of providing our students with the skills, resources, and support they need to succeed.
To learn more about the Title IV-A Coalition, please visit their website here.
As a founding member, the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) has been a member of the Title IV-A Coalition since early 2016. Because of the grant’s significant potential to improve the access of music education and support student success, SSAE is one of NAfME’s top prioritized funding requests to Congress in each Appropriations cycle. As such, NAfME remains on the forefront of SSAE advocacy efforts serving as a Steering Committee member of the Coalition.
- Title IV-A Coalition Website
- Title IV-A Coalition Membership List
- What is Title IV-A? – FAQ
- Fact Sheets, Press Releases, Statements, and Letters Issued
Have questions regarding NAfME’s Title IV-A membership or other coalition initiatives? Contact Ronny Lau, our Public Policy Advisor who serves as liaison to NAfME’s coalition memberships.