Bringing the Future into Focus: NAfME National Music Research and Teacher Education (MRTE) Virtual Conference
February 25, 2021, 10:00 AM ET–February 27, 2021, mid-day
Announcing: PreK-12 Learning Collaborative
PreK–12 music educators, join in a new vision for music education at Bringing the Future into Focus, the 2021 NAfME National Conference! Join your fellow music educators and researchers online in February, when we’ll come together to lead our profession’s direction, engage with each other as colleagues, and inspire one another. Don’t miss powerful sessions selected from submissions from your fellow members. Sessions will be presented both asynchronously and live with PreK–12 live sessions available on Saturday, February 27, ending with a virtual happy hour.
The NAfME member rate of $50 includes all programming (the 2021 Music Research and Teacher Education Conference and the PreK–12 Learning Collaborative).
State and Division Conferences
Conferences are produced by each of the NAfME federated state associations throughout the year. Please visit this page to find your state’s website and more information.
February 11–14, 2021
Online and mail-in pre-registration is open at discounted rates from November 16, 2020, through January 31, 2021. (Mail-in includes US mail, FAX, scan/email.) Online and mail-in registration at higher prices will be available February 1-10, 2021.
Speakers include: Mackie V. Spradley, NAfME President; Christopher B. Woodside, NAfME Interim Executive Director; Scott Edgar; Connie McKoy; John Feierabend; Patricia Shehan Campbell; Anne Fennell; and many others.
We All Belong!: Proven Practices and Perspectives for Today’s Music Educator
April 22–24, 2021
Announcing the All-Eastern Virtual Ensemble Conductors:
- Band: Cynthia Johnston Turner, Director of Bands, University of Georgia
- Mixed Chorus: Cory Ganshow, Director Choral Activities, Bradley University
- Orchestra: James Tapia, Director of Orchestra Studies, Syracuse University
- Treble Choir: Amanda Quist, Director Choral Activities, University of Miami
- Jazz Ensemble: Terell Stafford, Director of Jazz Studies, Temple University
- Open to all NAfME members
- Sessions will focus on proven practices by Eastern Division Music Educators
- Tracks for Band, Choir, Orchestra, General Music, Modern Band, Collegiate, Administration, City School Music and more!
- Conference Focus: Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Access
- Designated Concert Hours
- Premiere Concert Debut of the 2021 All-Eastern Virtual Ensembles
Vision 2020—February 25 NAfME President and Board Chair Kathleen D. Sanz; Deb Confredo, chair of the Society for Research in Music education; and Linda Thornton, chair of the Society for Music Teacher Education presented the first of the “Vision 2020” webinars on February 25. Music educators played a role in helping envision the future of music education, responding to the ideas in this first of a series of Vision 2020 live webinars. Find the archived webinar and PDF of the slide deck here. Stay tuned for the next webinar.
- February 18–20, 2021: 2021 Desert Skies Symposium on Research in Music Learning and Teaching, School of Music, Arizona State University.
- August 3–6, 2021: ISME Cancun 2021: 13th Latin American Regional Conference and 5th Pan American Regional Conference ISME 2021 (Call for Papers Deadline: January 31, 2021)