At the end of Music in Our Schools Month, on March 25, the Missouri Music Educators Association held its very first Advocacy Day. Gary Brandes, president of the Missouri MEA, reported that:
- Advocates had appointments with 14 state representatives and senators, at least nine of whom were Education Committee members.
- The Missouri Governor signed a Proclamation
- They had two displays, one on the House side and one on the Senate side, where many visitors discussed their own experiences with music education. One display included a DVD of All-State performances playing all day.
- Advocates left Broader MindedTM brochures and information about Music In Our Schools Month for legislative offices.
- NAfME-Collegiate members also participated in legislative office visits, and state lawmakers were very receptive of them.
Congratulations to all the collegiate and professional Missouri MEA members on their success!
Left to right: Stephanie Uhls, UMSL NAfME-C;
State Representative Ron Hicks; Gary Brandes, MMEA President.
Learn more about the 2015 NAfME Hill Day in Washington, D.C. Collegiate participation desired!
Catherina Hurlburt, Special Assistant, April 15, 2014. © National Association for Music Education (NAfME.org)