Curriculum Units for the 2014 Music Responding Standards
Created through the Teaching with Primary Sources program of the Library of Congress
In July 2016, NAfME received a 3-year project grant from the Library of Congress to participate in the Teaching with Primary Sources (TPS) program. Focused on helping educators connect to the Library’s digitized archives, and helping teachers learn how to incorporate primary sources into the classroom, NAfME has used the TPS funds to create curriculum units connected to the Library’s vast resources in music, including audio, video, still images, and sheet music files.
In Year 1, two teams of teachers created curriculum units in General Music and Chorus. You can find these modules using the links below. Each unit contains multiple lesson plans based on an inquiry model of teaching, and with many opportunities to incorporate primary sources from the Library of Congress’ online collections, including the National Jukebox, featuring archival recordings. The units are based on the 2014 National Music Standards, featuring the Responding Artistic Process, where students are engaged in listening to, analyzing, and responding via written work, dialogue, research, composition, and performance to music.
The Chorus units are arranged by each level in the Performing Ensembles standards – Novice, Intermediate, Proficient, Accomplished, Advanced. The first two levels are typically pre-high school, with the last three levels typically high school.
- Chorus Responding Unit—Proficient Level
- Chorus Responding Unit—Novice Level
- Chorus Responding Unit—Intermediate Level
- Chorus Responding Unit—Accomplished Level
- Chorus Responding Unit—Advanced Level (coming soon)
The General Music units are available at the 2nd, 5th, and 8th grade levels. Teachers are welcome to modify up or down to fit the needs of their classroom.
- General Music—Grade 2, Responding to Music through Listening
- General Music—Grade 2, Responding to Music through Movement
- General Music Responding Unit—Grade 5
- General Music Responding Unit—Grade 8
In 2017-2018, NAfME will be working with educators to create units for Band and Orchestra classrooms. If you are interested in participating or in piloting these new modules, please contact Johanna Siebert, Project Director.
For More Information
- Library of Congress
- Teaching with Primary Sources at the Library of Congress
- Analyzing Sound Recordings
- Analyzing Sheet Music