NAfME is continuing to monitor the health updates, guidance and travel information provided by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO) and the Florida Department of Health in both Orange and Osceola Counties on Coronavirus to ensure we are taking all recommended precautions.
Based on today’s information, NAfME plans to host the All-National Honor Ensembles as scheduled in Orlando, FL in November. The situation surrounding the virus is very dynamic, and NAfME will continue to engage health and security authorities on any planned or anticipated measures that may impact travel and our ability to host the upcoming event. Any and all updates will be posted on this page and shared widely with students, directors, parents, and sponsors.
The 2020 applications are NOW CLOSED. We are currently in the process of reviewing the applications. Notifications will be sent early-July.
The NAfME All-National Honor Ensembles (ANHE) represent the top performing high school musicians in the United States. So much more than a musical showcase, the ANHE program is a comprehensive and educational experience.
The 2020 ensembles will meet at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center in Orlando, Florida, under the leadership of top conductors in the field of music education. The ensembles will be comprised of:
- Concert Band led by Rodney Dorsey
- Symphony Orchestra led by Nobuyoshi Yasuda
- Mixed Choir led by Frances Fonza
- Jazz Ensemble led by Todd Stoll, with Guest Soloist Terell Stafford
- Guitar Ensemble led by Chuck Hulihan
- Modern Band led by Tony Sauza
- Be in grades 9, 10 or 11 during the 2019-2020 school year.
- Attend school in one of the fifty states of the United States, the District of Columbia, or a Department of Defense School.
- Be a member of their school’s choral, string, guitar, or instrumental ensemble during the 2020-2021 school year corresponding with the ensemble for which they are applying.
- Be sponsored by a school ensemble director who is a current, active member of NAfME (cannot be an associate or retired member). Member ID will be required for the 2020 ANHE Application.
- Be accepted to their state’s 2019-2020 All-State Festival. If a state’s 2019-2020 All-State Festival has been cancelled due to COVID-19, please contact the state Music Education Association (MEA) for questions regarding eligibility.
- In the case of Guitar Ensemble, students who play guitar in their school’s music program are permitted to apply.
- In the case of Modern Band, students are permitted to apply as long as they are sponsored by a NAfME member and participate in a school sponsored ensemble.
- If an All-State Festival is not held during the 2019-2020 academic year, the 2019-2020 Division Festival will be acceptable (i.e. Northwest Division).
- If your state Music Education Association (MEA) does not sponsor the All-State Festival, the state MEA will determine which students are eligible to apply.
- Students may only audition for the part and ensemble for which they were accepted in their 2019-2020 All-State Festival.
- Students who were accepted for multiple All-State ensembles may apply for multiple ANHE ensembles, however, they must submit separate applications for each.
- Students whose vocal range has changed following their All-State Festival may apply for the part that best suits their voice.
- Any student who was accepted for a voice part, regardless of ensemble, may audition for the Mixed Choir – i.e. if a student was accepted for a Vocal Jazz Ensemble, they are eligible to apply for Mixed Choir.
- Any student who was accepted for percussion, regardless of ensemble, may audition for the Symphony Orchestra or Concert Band – i.e. if a student was accepted for a Percussion Ensemble, they are eligible to apply.
- Students who are auditioning for guitar may apply for Guitar Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, or Modern Band. However, they must submit separate applications if they opt to apply for multiple ensembles.
- Students who are auditioning on drumset may apply for Jazz Ensemble or Modern Band. However, they must submit separate applications if they opt to apply for both ensembles.
- The final determination of eligibility for the All-National Honor Ensembles (ANHE) program is made by the student’s state Music Education Association (MEA). Please reach out to your state MEA with eligibility questions.
- Some states may require that students are both selected AND perform in their All-State. Students must follow the directive of their individual state MEA with regard to participation.
- Students who fail to comply with their individual state requirements will not be eligible to participate in the NAfME All-National Honor Ensembles program.
- In the event that a state MEA cannot determine eligibility due to that state not offering or sponsoring a particular ensemble (ex. All-State Guitar or All-State Modern Band), students will be permitted to apply as long as they are sponsored by an NAfME member.
- If a student transfers schools, they will remain eligible if they meet the above listed requirements at their new school.
- Students must notify NAfME immediately and provide the new school’s name, address, and name of the director who is sponsoring the student.
- You are required to upload an unedited and unaccompanied video performing the REQUIRED REPERTOIRE for your instrument or voice part.
- Jazz and Modern Band students may use a backing track for their audition unless otherwise specified.
- Students who are auditioning on percussion for Concert Band and Symphony Orchestra should upload as many sections of the audition repertoire as possible, but are not required to submit all three solos.
- This must be a VIDEO audition with a clock or stop watch visible.
- The following video files are accepted — MP4, MOV, AVI, MPG, 3GP, FLV, WEBM, WMV, MKV, and M4V.
- Please note, the total size of video files submitted cannot exceed 8GB. If your video audition file is too large, please upload to YouTube or Vimeo. List the link in the File Upload URL section.
- There is an option to upload an additional 2-minute video for Concert Band, Symphony Orchestra and Mixed Choir. This may be a piece of your choosing and may be accompanied or unaccompanied. A clock or stop watch must be visible. You could use this opportunity to demonstrate proficiency on your instrument. This second video is not required.
- There is an option for Piccoloists, Flutists, Oboists, Clarinetists, and Bassoonists to submit a video demonstrating their proficiency on Flute, Piccolo, English Horn, Eb Clarinet, and Contrabassoon.
- Woodwinds, Brass, and Percussion are automatically considered for both Concert Band and Symphony Orchestra.
- Read the 2020 ANHE FAQ
- Find information on past NAfME All-National Honor Ensembles
- Learn about your All-State Requirements
- Email HonorEnsembles@nafme.org