2019 All-National Honor Ensembles FAQ
Please check back regularly for updated FAQs.
- When is the 2019 All-National Honor Ensembles program?
- November 7 – 10, 2019, Thursday (4:00 PM) – Sunday (1:00 PM)
- Where will the 2019 All-National Honor Ensembles take place?
- Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, Orlando, Florida
- Who is eligible to apply? All Applicants Must:
- Be in grades 9, 10 or 11 during the 2018-2019 school year.
- Attend school in one of the fifty states of the United States, the District of Columbia, or a Department of Defense School.
- Be a member of their school’s choral, string, guitar, or instrumental ensemble during the 2019-2020 school year corresponding with the ensemble for which they are applying.
- School ensemble directors must be a current, active member of NAfME (cannot be an associate or retired member). Member ID will be required for the 2019 ANHE Application.
- Be accepted to their state’s 2018-2019 All-State Festival.
- In the case of Guitar Ensemble, many states do not have an All-State Festival. Students who participate in their school’s guitar ensemble program are permitted to apply.
- In the case of Modern Band, many schools do not have modern band ensembles. Students are permitted to apply as long as they are sponsored by an NAfME members.
If there isn’t an All-State Festival held during the 2018-2019 academic year, the 2018-2019 Division Festival will be acceptable (Northwest Division).
- If your state Music Education Association (MEA) does not sponsor the All-State Festival, the state MEA will determine which students are eligible to apply.
- Students may only audition for the part and ensemble for which they were accepted in their 2018-2019 All-State Festival.
- The final determination of eligibility for the All-National Honor Ensembles (ANHE) program is made by the student’s state Music Education Association (MEA). Please reach out to your state MEA with eligibility questions.
- Some states may require that students are both selected AND performin their All-State. Students must follow the directive of their individual state MEA with regard to participation.
- Students who fail to comply with their individual state requirements will not be eligible to participate in the NAfME All-National Honor Ensembles program.
- In the event that a state MEA cannot determine eligibility due to that state not offering or sponsoring a particular ensemble (ex. All-State Guitar or All-State Modern Band), students will be permitted to apply as long as they are sponsored by an NAfME member.
- Which piece do I play for my audition?
- You are required to upload an unedited and unaccompanied VIDEO performing the REQUIRED REPERTOIRE for your instrument or voice part.
- This must be a video audition with a clock or stop watch visible.
- The following video files are accepted — MP4, MOV, AVI, MPG, 3GP, FLV, WEBM, WMV, MKV, and M4V.
- Please note, there is an option to upload an additional 2-minute video for Concert Band, Symphony Orchestra and Mixed Choir Students. This may be a piece of your choosing and may be accompanied or unaccompanied. You could use this opportunity to demonstrate proficiency on an auxiliary instrument. This second video is not required.
- Wind, Brass, and Percussion instruments are automatically considered for both Concert Band and Symphony Orchestra.
- When is the deadline to apply?
- The application deadline is May 3, 2019, 11:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- How do I apply?
- May I be considered for both ANHE Concert Band and Symphony Orchestra?
- Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion are automatically considered for both Concert Band and Symphony Orchestra.
- Am I allowed to apply more than once using a different instrument?
- Yes, but you must have been accepted to your All-State event on all instruments/voice parts and must submit separate applications for each instrument/voice part.
- I would like to apply, but my director is not a member of NAfME. May I still apply?
- Does my parent, guardian, or director need to attend with me?
- We encourage you to attend with either your parent/guardian or director – however, it is NOT mandatory.
- What are the fees associated with the 2019 ANHE Program?
- The application fee is $40.00. This is paid when you apply.
- The cost to participate, once accepted, is $875. Students are also responsible for their own airfare to and from Orlando International Airport (MCO).
- What does the $875 Student Registration Fee include?
- 3 night’s accommodations at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center: Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. (November 7-10, 2019). ALL rooms are double occupancy. 2 students, 2 beds.
- Meals: Thursday – Dinner, Friday- Breakfast and Lunch – Friday dinner is on your own in the theme park, Saturday – Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner, Sunday – Breakfast.
- Evening theme park pass
- Is the fee refundable?
- If students cancel 60+ days in advance of the event they will receive a full refund ($875) minus a $50 admin processing fee.
- If students cancel 30-60 days in advance of the event they will receive a partial refund of $350.
- If students cancel less than 30 days in advance of the event they will not receive a refund unless there is a death in the immediate family (parent, sibling, or grandparent) or a documented medical emergency, in which case NAfME will provide a partial reimbursement of $300.
- Am I allowed to pick my roommate?
- Roommate requests may be made; however, they are not guaranteed to be honored.
- Am I allowed to stay with my parent/guardian?
- Students are not allowed to room with anyone other than their assigned roommate, unless for medical reasons, in which case signed documentation from a medical professional is required.
- Will my parent/guardian, family member(s), or director be able to secure accommodations at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center or will they have to stay somewhere else?
- Discounted rates at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center will be available to family and friends under the ANHE room block. More information on room rates and reservations will be available on the ANHE website and will also be provided via email to Directors and Parents once students are selected.
- Will there be vegetarian and vegan options?
- I have severe allergies, will accommodations be made?
- Yes – students must notify NAfME staff of any allergies using the ANHE medical form.
- Am I responsible for my own airfare if needed?
- Yes, students are responsible for their own airfare and transportation to and from Orlando International Airport (MCO).
- When will I need to arrive?
- Students should arrive at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center on Thursday, November 7, 2019 between 1:00 PM-3:45 PM. There is a mandatory rehearsal on Thursday, November 7 at 4:00 PM. Registration will take place between 2:00-4:00 PM.
- When can I depart?
- Students will be released to their parents at 1:00 PM on Sunday, November 10, following the conclusion of the final concert. Students should not book their return flight until after 4:00 PM due to transportation and security times.
FREE TIME IN THE PARK
- Will students be able to spend time with family and friends?
- Students will have the opportunity to spend time with their family during their theme park visit on Friday evening. More information will be provided by NAfME staff.
- The student registration fee includes an evening theme park pass, will students be able to add days if interested?
- Students will receive an evening park pass with their student registration fee. This park pass is required and will be used on Friday evening.
- Students may only purchase additional theme park passes to use before or after the ANHE event. (Before Thursday, November 7, 4:00 PM or after Sunday, November 10, 1:00 PM).
- Will family and friends be able to watch the rehearsals?
- Family and friends of ANHE students are not permitted to attend rehearsals or visit student sleeping rooms.
- ANHE students may not leave rehearsals or their sleeping rooms during scheduled hours, unless for medical reasons.
- Am I required to bring my own instrument? What do I do if my instrument is too large to transport?
- Students are required to supply their own instrument and accessories (reeds, strings, mutes, cello floor boards, etc.). Students must make arrangements to transport or rent an instrument at their own expense. NAfME will ONLY supply larger percussion instruments.
DEADLINES AND IMPORTANT DATES
- When is the application deadline?
- The application is due May 3, 2019, 11:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- When will I find out if I have been accepted?
- You will receive notification via email in late June 2019.
- When will the 2019 All-National Honor Ensembles program take place?
- November 7 – 10, 2019, Thursday (4:00 PM) – Sunday (1:00 PM)
- Students should arrive at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center on Thursday, November 7, 2019 between 1:00 PM-3:00 PM.
- Students will be released to their parents at 1:00 PM on Sunday, November 10, following the conclusion of the final concert. Students should make flight arrangements after 4:00 PM.
- For any questions regarding the 2019 ANHE program or application process, please contact: HonorEnsembles@nafme.org.