About the Competition
NAfME is seeking original music written by student composers for featured performance in the Young Composers Concert. Teachers and students are invited to submit original compositions by students for possible inclusion in the concert. Students in elementary school, secondary school, college, and graduate school are eligible to submit compositions.
Compositions may also be submitted for specific chamber instrumentation and may be eligible for performance at the Young Composers Concert and a cash award. Compositions submitted that fall outside of the choral or chamber instrumentation guidelines will be adjudicated but will not be eligible for awards or for performance.
Up to ten selected composers will receive cash awards, thanks to the generous support of the European American Musical Alliance (Dr. Philip Lasser, president) and the Double R Foundation. All entrants will receive written evaluations of their compositions.
All entrants will receive written evaluations of their compositions.
How to Apply
- 2019 Student Acknowledgement and School Sponsorship form
- The deadline for applications is March 29, 2019
- Read testimonials from past winners
- Questions? Contact: Lynn Tuttle
2018 Student Composition Winners:
Winston Schneider of Omaha, Nebraska
for the piece, Scherzo of the Feather Stars
- Winston’s teacher is Dr. Ken Meints
Josh Conklin of Basking Ridge, New Jersey
for the piece, Rekindling Phoenix
- Josh’s teacher is Mark Fabio
William Thomas of Gainesville, Florida
for the piece, String Quartet #1
- William’s teacher is Sangmi Kang
Sean McLaughlin of Ashburn, Virginia
for the piece, Ode to Grandeur
- Sean’s teacher is Kelly Vaeth
Koharu Sakiyama of West Linn, Oregon
for the piece, Clockwork
- Koharu’s teacher is Laura Arthur
Helen Lyons of New York, New York
for the piece, Midnight Traveler
- Helen’s teacher is Michael Stratechuk
Louis Josephson of West Windsor, New Jersey
for the piece, Reverence
- Louis’s teacher is Jesse Argenziano
Daniel Cho of Wyncote, Pennsylvania
for the piece, Scherzo on Fire
- Daniel’s teacher is Taia Harlos
David Jung of East Northport, New York
for the piece, Seafoam Green
- David’s teacher is Frank Doyle
Reid Spreiter of Mantorville, Minnesota
for the piece, The Dueling Dances
- Reid’s teacher is Anthony Boldt
Kalysha Chandler of Provo, Utah
for the piece, Uncommon Aberrance
- Kalysha’s teacher is Kyle Chandler
Brandon Schwab of Clearwater, Florida
for the piece, Liftoff!
- Brandon’s teacher is Nathan Muehl
Malik Turner of Emporia, Virginia
for the piece, Black Garb Myriad
- Malik’s teacher is M. Shawn Hundley
*Previously published works are not eligible for submission in the competition.
*Submission implies permission for NAfME to perform and record all selected works.