To help you plan your teaching and support your music education advocacy efforts, NAfME offers the following resources.
Get an overview from NAfME leadership and staff by watching the National Rally for Music Education, recorded on June 25, 2020.
- Guidance from NAfME and NFHS on Music Education in Fall 2020. Practical guidance for PreK-12 schools as administrators and music educators as they seek to provide meaningful music instruction for students of all ages and grade levels during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Arts Education Is Essential. As policymakers plan for school reopening in the fall, NAfME joined more than 100 other organizations in a statement that supports an arts education for all students.
- Research Study on the effects of COVID-19 on the rehearsal hall. The study will examine aerosol rates produced by wind instrumentalists, vocalists, and even actors, and how quickly those aerosol rates accumulate in a space.
- Copyright Information:
- Copyright Permissions for Performance Released by NAfME and the NFHS on December 10, 2020.
- TEACH Act Explained – Copyright Guidance for Distance Learning Released by NAfME and the NFHS on September 10, 2020.
- Music and Social-Emotional Learning. This new brochure describes what research tells us about how music educators are well-suited to help students develop socially and emotionally.
- COVID-19 Instrument Cleaning Guidelines. The NFHS, NAfME and the NAMM Foundation recommendations for handling musical instruments during the COVID-19 school shutdown period.
- Local Advocacy Action Plan. This resource is intended to aid music educators and music education supporters as they seek to improve the overall condition of a music program.
- Civic Action Field Guide. This field guide will help music educators and education stakeholders better understand the processes behind how public education is governed and funded, with an eye toward supporting high-quality music education in districts and at the state level across the nation.
For more information about your state and LEA’s reopening plans:
- School Districts’ Reopening Plans: A Snapshot
- State-by-State Map of Where School Buildings Are Opened or Closed
Grassroots Advocacy Resources
- Everything ESSA page and resources
- Grassroots Advocacy Inventory
- Society for Music Teacher Education Policy E-Kit
- Find your state advocacy leadership
- Title IV-A Success Stories
- Organizing a State Advocacy Day
- Parents – 5 Ways to Support Your Music Program
- Connecting with Legislators
- Key Federal Education Members
- Public Relations 101
- Quick review of How a Bill Becomes a Law
- 2014 Standards State Implementation Toolkit
- NAfME Field Guide to State Lobbying
- Concert Program Advocacy Inserts for Teachers:
For more information and assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit NAfME COVID-19 Resources and News for all the latest NAfME COVID-19-related resources, including virtual professional development opportunities.