Start a Chapter • Chapter Materials • Collegiate Member Benefits • Recruitment • Recognition Program • Collegiate Dues and First-Year Teacher Discount • FAQs • Professional Resources • Financial Aid and Fundraising • Logos • Contact NAfME Collegiate
Chapter of Excellence Recognition
The Chapter of Excellence Recognition was developed to encourage chapters to plan and execute successful chapter Music Programs, Professional Development Projects, Recruitment Techniques, and Service Projects. Recognition of excellent projects is conferred annually and is based on activities completed by the chapter between January 1 and December 31st of the year prior.
Chapters submit a description and a Chapter of Excellence Application for each chapter activity to be considered. A committee made up of sitting NAfME Collegiate National and Divisional chairs will select the Chapter of Excellence entries to be recognized.
Applications should be submitted by mail to NAfME Collegiate Recognition Program, c/o JJ Norman, 1806 Robert Fulton Drive, Reston, VA 20191 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
The deadline for applications to be postmarked is March 30, 2018.
Chapter of Excellence Categories:
- Advocacy – We encourage all chapters to present a project promoting the importance of music education for all, or to assist in an advocacy effort taking place in their community. Examples of projects can include “Beyond the Bubbles” videos and student-led advocacy training sessions.
- Music Program (A music performance organized and/or presented by the chapter)
- Professional Development (A project organized and/or presented by the chapter to further the professional development of its members)
- Recruitment Technique (Successful technique to recruit students to join the chapter)
- Service (A project organized and carried out by the chapter to benefit music education at large or music or music education programs in the community)
Criteria for Chapter of Excellence Selection:
- Chapter Participation, Commitment, Creativity, Impact, Organization, Uniqueness, and Visibility.
Annually, three Chapter of Excellence activities can be selected for recognition in each of the four categories (twelve total). Each selected activity will receive a plaque from NAfME and will be recognized in an issue of Teaching Music or Music Educators Journal. Additionally, the selection committee has the option to name up to three Chapter of Excellence honorable mentions for exceptional activities.
Professional Achievement Award
The purpose of the Professional Achievement Award is to recognize individual Collegiate members for their commitment and dedication to NAfME and music education. This recognition is given to Collegiate members who have served their chapters in an exemplary manner. All Collegiate members who meet the following criteria are eligible to receive this distinction.
Criteria: (all requirements apply)
- Student must be currently enrolled in an active NAfME Collegiate chapter.
- Student must also have been a Collegiate member of NAfME in the school year prior to the current one.
- Student must possess an overall minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) or equivalent during the year of the application.
- Student must verify participation and involvement in chapter activities.
Chapter advisors must send a completed Professional Achievement application for each eligible Collegiate member including a description of the eligible member’s participation and involvement in chapter-related activities to NAfME by March 31, 2017.
One recipient of the Professional Achievement Recognition Award from each chapter may be considered for the Shannon Kelly Kane Scholarship.
Applications should be submitted by mail to NAfME Collegiate Recognition Program, c/o JJ Norman,1806 Robert Fulton Drive, Reston, VA 20191 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chapter Growth Award
The Chapter Growth Certificate of Achievement was established to stimulate growth in Collegiate membership and ensure the future of the music education profession. Since its inception in 1986, Collegiate chapters have received national and statewide recognition for significant chapter growth.
This award is given to chapters that increase their enrollment over the previous year, by March 30 of the current school year. Recipients receive a Certificate of Recognition from NAfME. No application is required.