NAfME has had a long association with the research community in schools, colleges and universities, and through our members who have a keen interest in supporting research efforts in the field of music education. We wish to support those who survey research requires reaching a broad or specific segment of NAfME members. With this in mind, NAfME is pleased to provide indirect access to the association’s membership list using our e-mail transmission platform.
The purpose of providing this assistance is to allow those whose research requires a nationally or regionally representative sample of NAfME members. The majority of our members reside in the United States. We estimate that nearly 50% of all music educators in the U.S. are NAfME members. Our members represent all interests, specialties, and teaching levels, with experience ranging from the Collegiate and first-year teacher to highly skilled and seasoned professionals. The list is accurate and current.
This assistance is available for members only. Members may be awarded one request every two years.
The Society for Research in Music Education (SRME) Executive Committee evaluates proposed research surveys prior to dissemination. Committee decisions are final and review contents are not disclosed. However, if the initial request application is rejected, the applicant may revise and resubmit, once within a 2-year cycle. The review cycle runs September 1 – August 31.
To submit a proposal for a research survey, go to https://openconf.org/nafmeresearch/, and select: ‘NAfME Research Survey’, and then ‘Make Submission.’ You will be asked to provide the following details for committee review:
- NAfME ID Number
- Phone Number
- Institution Affiliation
- Professional Status
Additionally, university students will be asked to provide the name, NAfME ID, email, and phone number for their academic advisor.
- Project Title
- A single PDF that includes both:
- IRB Protocol (including approval documentation)
- Complete survey form to be disseminated
- Background, Purpose, and Rationale 250-word limit
- Research Question(s) 250-word limit
- Targeted Respondent Population 250-word limit
- Procedures (including contact strategy) 250-word limit
- How would this research benefit the NAfME membership? 150-word limit
Decisions on a proposed survey will be rendered between 3-4 weeks after initial submission. Once the SRME review committee has approved a survey proposal, emails can be distributed according to the details provided below. The platform for the survey itself (e.g., Qualtics, Surveymonkey, Google Forms) is determined by the researcher.
- Standard Transmission: $50.00
- Includes: Transmission of an HTML or text-based e-mail to 5,000 members or fewer, with up to 2 selection criteria (example: states, teaching levels, etc.), using NAfME’s mass e-mail transmission tool.
- The transmission is sent by NAfME on the individual’s / company’s / institution’s behalf.
- An NAfME staff member will request the text that will be included in your e-mail, and will transfer it to our system. The blast will be sent using a standard NAfME (design) template.
- Minor proofing of design and content is included as part of the standard service.
- Though member e-mail addresses are not provided directly to the client as part of this program, you may elect to forward members to a survey or other related tool, or have replies sent to a specific survey tool, department or staff member.
- NAfME will confirm final cost and request final approval from client prior to transmission.
- E-mails are approved / scheduled within five business days upon receipt of order and payment, based on network availability.
- The following disclaimer must be included in the e-blast text: “This invitation is sent as a service to the profession by NAfME, as part of our ongoing efforts to support research in music education. The sending of this invitation does not constitute endorsement of the content or quality of the research project for which this invitation is sent by NAfME or its component Societies or Councils.”
- Regarding Content: NAfME reserves the right to approve ALL content prior to transmission. NAfME will deny requests for transmission of messages/materials which include non-research-related material and/or links to specific product sales pages.
- Additional Services
- Transmission to more than 5,000 members: $25.00 for each add’l 5,000 members (or portion thereof)
- Additional list criteria (in excess of 2 criteria): $10.00 per criteria
- Re-send to original distribution list: $25.00
- Rush Order (guaranteed transmission in less than five business days): $50.00