Music In Our Schools Month® (MIOSM®)
For nearly 40 years, March has been officially designated by the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) for the observance of Music In Our Schools Month® (MIOSM®), the time of year when music education becomes the focus of schools and communities across the nation.
The purpose of MIOSM is to raise awareness of the importance of music education for all children – and to remind citizens that school is where all children should have access to music. MIOSM is an opportunity for music teachers to bring their music programs to the attention of the school and the community, and to display the value that school music brings to students of all ages.
MIOSM and the events surrounding it are the ideal opportunities for increasing awareness of the benefits of high-quality music education programs in our nation’s schools. NAfME hopes that teachers, students, and music supporters alike will find ways to join the celebration through creative activities and advocacy.
2024 MIOSM Resources
- March 11, 2024: "Harmony on Capitol Hill: Celebrating 39 Years of Music In Our Schools Month®"
- Advocacy Resources:
- Share what music means to you! Your music education story could be shared nationally! Watch NAfME President Scott R. Sheehan's invitation.
- Shareable Graphics
- History of MIOSM
- Activity ideas to involve your school and community
- Collegiate MIOSM Social Media Campaign
- General Music Council Town Hall: General Music Ideas for Music In Our Schools Month
- Daily prompts to use in your school and class from the NAfME Council for General Music Education (PowerPoint presentation also available)
- Merchandise for purchase: egg shakers, posters, pencils, and more!
- Concert Program Insert (landscape and portrait orientation)
- Lesson Plans:
- Contact information for MIOSM chairperson in each state
Important Trademark Notice:
Music In Our Schools Month® is a trademark held by NAfME; any related phrasing (Music In Our Schools Month® and MIOSM®) must include the registered trademark symbol. Any related phrasing should be hyperlinked to: https://nafme.org/. Any related phrasing or logos may not be used for fundraising or materials produced for profit. The logo may not be altered. To request use of the MIOSM logo, such as using it on a website or school t-shirt, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include details regarding where the logo will be placed and any mock-up designs as applicable for review and approval.