NAfME believes research is a central component of the work of the association and our members. One of four building blocks of the Association’s Strategic Plan, Research is supported in our association by two Societies and highlighted at a biennial research conference.
The 2018 NAfME Senior Researcher is Dr. Harry Price.
Call for Proposals
Research on Music Education Issues
2018 Biennial Music Research and Teacher Education National Conference
March 22-24, 2018
Westin Peachtree Plaza, Atlanta
210 Peachtree St NW
Atlanta, GA 30303
The next biennial NAfME Music Research and Teacher Education National Conference will take place in Kissimmee, Florida, November 5–7, 2020.
The National Association for Music Education (NAfME) Society for Research in Music Education (SRME) seeks to encourage and improve the quality of scholarship and research within the music education profession. The SRME consists of all subscribers of the Journal of Research in Music Education (JRME). Visit the SRME page to access information about the Journal of Research in Music Education,Update: Applications of Research in Music Education, SRME/NAfME research grants, Special Research Interest Groups (SRIGs), state research chairs, conference research, senior researcher award recipients, the SRME Handbook, the Code of Ethics, and the SRME Executive Committee.
The National Association for Music Education (NAfME) Society for Music Teacher Education (SMTE) aspires to
- Improve the quality of teaching and research in music teacher education.
- Provide leadership in the establishment of standards for certification of music teachers.
- Serve as an arm of NAfME in influencing developments in music teacher education and in the certification of music teachers.
Other Research News and Studies of Interest
- Music Educator Researcher Dr. Carlos Abril featured at 2017 Yale Symposium on Music in our Schools
- Report on the 2016 NAEP Assessment Results in Music, including analysis of demographic traits influencing assessment results
- Give A Note Foundation’s report on music education programs, Dr. Ken Elpus, leader researcher
Music Education Related Data Reports
- General NAEP Assessment Results from 2016
- Fast Response Survey System: access and participation in arts education
Dashboards with music education related access data:
- California Arts Education Data Project Dashboard (2016)
- Summary Report, California Arts Education Data Project (2016)
- NJ Interactive School Performance Dashboard (2016)
- Arizona HQT Data (2014)
State level arts education census reports, including access to music education: