NAfME believes research is a central component of the work of the association and our members. One of four building blocks of the Association’s Strategic Plan, Research is supported in our association by two Societies and highlighted at a biennial research conference.
2022 NAfME National Music Research and Teacher Education Conference
November 2-6, 2022
National Harbor, MD
2021 NAfME National Music Research and Teacher Education Virtual Conference
February 25-27, 2021
2018 Biennial Music Research and Teacher Education National Conference
March 22-24, 2018
The National Association for Music Education (NAfME) Society for Research in Music Education (SRME) seeks to encourage and improve the quality of scholarship and research within the music education profession. The SRME consists of all subscribers of the Journal of Research in Music Education (JRME). Visit the SRME page to access information about the Journal of Research in Music Education, Update: Applications of Research in Music Education, SRME/NAfME research grants, Special Research Interest Groups (SRIGs), state research chairs, conference research, senior researcher award recipients, the SRME Handbook, the Code of Ethics, and the SRME Executive Committee.
Standing in the Gap: A Survey of Middle Level Music Education in the United States and Its Territories (2020–2021) – Stephanie Cronenberg and Brandon Williams, Rutgers, Mason Gross School of the Arts
The National Association for Music Education (NAfME) Society for Music Teacher Education (SMTE) aspires to
- Improve the quality of teaching and research in music teacher education.
- Provide leadership in the establishment of standards for certification of music teachers.
- Serve as an arm of NAfME in influencing developments in music teacher education and in the certification of music teachers.
Visit the SMTE website for the latest information and to access the Teacher Evaluation portal. Also read SMTE’s publication, Journal of Music Teacher Education (JMTE).
Executive Committee of the Society for Music Teacher Education
Areas of Strategic Action and Planning workgroups of SMTE
Research Survey Assistance
NAfME provides a listserv research service to student and professional members who are engaged in survey research and whose applications are approved by the SRME Executive Committee. Members may be awarded one request every two years. Click here for more information.
Other Research News and Studies of Interest
- Music Educator Researcher Dr. Carlos Abril featured at 2017 Yale Symposium on Music in our Schools
- Report on the 2016 NAEP Assessment Results in Music, including analysis of demographic traits influencing assessment results
- Give A Note Foundation’s report on music education programs, Dr. Ken Elpus, lead researcher
Music Education Related Data Reports
- General NAEP Assessment Results from 2016
- Fast Response Survey System: access and participation in arts education
Dashboards with music education related access data:
- California Arts Education Data Project Dashboard (2016)
- Summary Report, California Arts Education Data Project (2016)
- NJ Interactive School Performance Dashboard (2016)
- Arizona HQT Data (2014)
State level arts education census reports, including access to music education:
- Arizona (2010)
- California (2004)
- Michigan (2012)
- Minnesota (2012)
- New Hampshire (2011)
- New Jersey (2007)
- New Jersey (2012)
- New Jersey (2017)
- Ohio (2013)
- Oklahoma (2010)
- Wisconsin (2008)