NAfME believes research is a central component of the work of the association and our members. One of four building blocks of the Association’s Strategic Plan, Research is supported in our association by two Societies and highlighted at a biennial research conference.
2017 Symposium on Music Teacher Education,
sponsored by the Society for Music Teacher Education,
The National Association for Music Education (NAfME) Society for Research in Music Education (SRME) seeks to encourage and improve the quality of scholarship and research within the music education profession. The SRME consists of all subscribers of the Journal of Research in Music Education (JRME). Visit the SRME page for more information including a list of state research chairs and a link to the Special Research Interest Groups (SRIGs).
- Executive Committee of the Society for Research in Music Education
- Press Release on the SRME/NAfME Research Grants, Awarded December, 2016
- Research highlights provided by SRME from current journal articles and updates (coming soon)
- SRME/NAfME Research Grants: Published Reports (coming soon)
- Senior Researcher Awardees (coming soon)
The National Association for Music Education (NAfME) Society for Music Teacher Education (SMTE) aspires to
- Improve the quality of teaching and research in music teacher education.
- Provide leadership in the establishment of standards for certification of music teachers.
- Serve as an arm of NAfME in influencing developments in music teacher education and in the certification of music teachers.
Other Research News and Studies of Interest
- Music Educator Researcher Dr. Carlos Abril featured at 2017 Yale Symposium on Music in our Schools
- Report on the 2016 NAEP Assessment Results in Music, including analysis of demographic traits influencing assessment results
- Give A Note Foundation’s report on music education programs, Dr. Ken Elpus, leader researcher
Music Education Related Data Reports
- General NAEP Assessment Results from 2016
- Fast Response Survey System: access and participation in arts education
Dashboards with music education related access data:
- California Arts Education Data Project Dashboard (2016)
- Summary Report, California Arts Education Data Project (2016)
- NJ Interactive School Performance Dashboard (2016)
- Arizona HQT Data (2014)
State level arts education census reports, including access to music education:
- Arizona (2010)
- California (2004)
- Michigan (2012)
- Minnesota (2012)
- New Hampshire (2011)
- New Jersey (2012)
- New Jersey (2007)
- Ohio (2013)
- Oklahoma (2010)
- Wisconsin (2008)