NAfME believes research is a central component of the work of the association and our members. One of four building blocks of the Association’s Strategic Plan, Research is supported in our association by two Societies and highlighted at a biennial research conference.
NAfME 2020 National Conference Session Selection Update:
The SRME and SMTE evaluation teams are working to complete submission reviews. In light of the shift to online instruction that has been imposed at many universities, please understand that acceptance notices for submissions for the 2020 conference in Kissimmee may be delayed. We aim to notify regarding session selection by mid-April.
Call for Nominations: NAfME Senior Researcher Award: “To Recognize Significant Scholarly Achievement”
The National Association for Music Education (NAfME) sponsors a biennial Senior Researcher Award to recognize significant, long-term scholarship in music education. To nominate a qualified researcher, please provide the following information: (1) name, address and affiliation of the nominee; (2) formal letter of nomination that specifically addresses the qualifications of the nominee; (3) any additional documentation that may be of help to the selection committee; and (4) the nominee’s curriculum vitae.
Nomination material must be submitted electronically. Include the nominee’s last name in the titles of attachments. Submit no later than May 15, 2020 to Deborah Confredo, Chair, Society for Research in Music Education, email@example.com.
The 2020 NAfME Senior Researcher will be announced at the 2020 National Conference in Orlando, Florida, November 4-8, 2020.
Call for Nominations: SRME Executive Committee, JRME Editorial Committee, and Update Editorial Committee
The Executive Committee of the Society for Research in Music Education (SRME) is seeking nominations for vacancies on the Executive Committee of SRME and the editorial committees of the Journal of Research in Music Education (JRME) and Update: Applications of Research in Music Education.
SRME is now accepting nominations for the following:
- Three positions on the SRME Executive Committee. Qualifications: SRME membership; a record of continuing publication of research; and a commitment to serve in no more than one SRME-affiliated leadership post during term of appointment. Responsibilities: 6-year term beginning January 1, 2021; attend committee meetings held virtually and in person at the NAfME biennial national conference; other duties as designated.
The deadline for SRME Executive Committee nominations is October 1, 2020.
- Seven positions on the JRME Editorial Committee. Qualifications: SRME membership; a record of continuing publication of research; and a commitment to serve in no more than one SRME-affiliated leadership post during term of appointment. Responsibilities: 6-year term beginning July 1, 2020; attend committee meetings, usually in conjunction with the NAfME biennial national conference. Committee members must consider all valid research perspectives and provide in a timely manner thorough written reviews of manuscripts, approximately 2-4 per month.
- Six positions (three researchers and three clinicians) on the Update Editorial Committee. Qualifications: For researchers, a record of research that includes articles in the JRME, Update, or other journals of comparable prominence; for clinicians, a history of meaningful interactions with PK-12 music teachers; for researchers and clinicians, SRME membership; a record of at least 3 years of successful, full-time teaching or teaching supervision in PK-12 schools; continuing interest and involvement in teaching and research that establishes an area of expertise; attendance at the NAfME biennial national conference; commitment to serve in no more than one SRME-affiliated leadership post during term of appointment. Responsibilities: 4-year term beginning July 1, 2020; attend committee meetings, usually held in conjunction with the NAfME biennial national conference. Committee members must consider all valid research perspectives and provide in a timely manner thorough written reviews of manuscripts, approximately 1-2 per month.
The deadline for JRME and Update Editorial Committee nominations is March 15, 2020.
All nominations must be submitted electronically. Please email nominations to Deborah Confredo, Chair, SRME Executive Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please attach a formal letter of nomination and a complete curriculum vitae in pdf format.
2018 Biennial Music Research and Teacher Education National Conference
March 22-24, 2018
The next biennial NAfME Music Research and Teacher Education National Conference will take place in Orlando, Florida, November 5–7, 2020. Proposals are being accepted through February 3, 2020.
The National Association for Music Education (NAfME) Society for Music Teacher Education (SMTE) aspires to
- Improve the quality of teaching and research in music teacher education.
- Provide leadership in the establishment of standards for certification of music teachers.
- Serve as an arm of NAfME in influencing developments in music teacher education and in the certification of music teachers.
Research Survey Assistance
NAfME provides a listserv research service to student and professional members who are engaged in survey research and whose applications are approved by the SRME Executive Committee. Members may be awarded one request every two years. Click here for more information.
Other Research News and Studies of Interest
- Music Educator Researcher Dr. Carlos Abril featured at 2017 Yale Symposium on Music in our Schools
- Report on the 2016 NAEP Assessment Results in Music, including analysis of demographic traits influencing assessment results
- Give A Note Foundation’s report on music education programs, Dr. Ken Elpus, leader researcher
Music Education Related Data Reports
- General NAEP Assessment Results from 2016
- Fast Response Survey System: access and participation in arts education
Dashboards with music education related access data:
- California Arts Education Data Project Dashboard (2016)
- Summary Report, California Arts Education Data Project (2016)
- NJ Interactive School Performance Dashboard (2016)
- Arizona HQT Data (2014)
State level arts education census reports, including access to music education: