How does music inspire you and your students?
Join us in celebrating the 2018 Music In Our Schools Month®!
- What is Music In Our Schools Month (MIOSM)?
- History of MIOSM
- Ideas for Celebrating MIOSM
- Participate in the Biggest School Chorus in the World!
- Contact Your State’s MIOSM Chairperson
Register for a MIOSM Participation Certificate
What is Music In Our Schools Month® (MIOSM®)?
Music In Our Schools Month® or “MIOSM®” is NAfME’s annual celebration during March which engages music educators, students, and communities from around the country in promoting the benefits of high quality music education programs in schools.
Music In Our Schools Month® began as a single statewide Advocacy Day and celebration in New York in 1973 and grew over the decades to become a month-long celebration of school music in 1985.
How can I get involved in Music In Our Schools Month®?
Music teachers celebrate MIOSM in many ways by offering special performances, lessons, sing-alongs and activities to bring their music programs to the attention of administrators, parents, colleagues, and communities to display the positive benefits that school music brings to students of all ages.
NAfME provides many special resources for teachers and schools to use in their concerts, lessons, and advocacy events that highlight the importance of school music.
Other Ideas to Get Involved:
- Change your profile picture for Music In Our schools Month® during March!
- Share photos of how ‘Music Inspires’ you and your students on Instagram using #MIOSM and #MusicConnectsUs and tag @NAfME for your chance to WIN free giveaways!
- See how other schools are celebrating Music In Our schools Month®.