|Society for Music Teacher Education||Council for Band Education|
|Society for Research in Music Education||Council for Choral Education|
|Council for General Music Education|
|Advisory Councils||Council for Guitar Education|
|Collegiate Advisory Council||Council for Innovations|
|Music Honor Society Advisory Council||Council for Jazz Education|
|Council for Music Composition|
|Role-Based Councils||Council for Orchestral Education|
|Council of Past National Presidents||Council of Music Program Leaders|
|Council of State Executive Directors|
|Council of State Editors|
Latest Activity – October 2021
- Building a Legacy: Recruiting Future Music Educators (Society for Music Teacher Education): webinar was held October 5 and drew 117 registrants. The Society for Music Teacher Education is conducting a recruitment project. NAfME members were asked to share insights into recruiting the next generation of music educators in an initiative called “Building a Legacy: Recruiting Future Music Educators.” Part I of the NAfME Building a Legacy Series highlighted three generations of music educators: future music teachers, those who inspired them, and their music teachers.
- NAfME Music Program Leaders: On October 28, the NAfME Music Program Leaders held their 4th colloquium, “Coffin Time: Confronting Your Innermost Fears as a Leader”. A recording will be shared with members.
The Society for Music Teacher Education (SMTE) aspires to
- Improve the quality of teaching and research in music teacher education.
- Provide leadership in the establishment of standards for certification of music teachers.
- Serve as an arm of NAfME in influencing developments in music teacher education and in the certification of music teachers.
Society for Research in Music Education
The Society for Research in Music Education (SRME) seeks to encourage and improve the quality of scholarship and research within the music education profession. The Executive Committee of SRME oversees two research journals: Journal of Research in Music Education (JRME) and Update: Applications of Research in Music Education. Visit the SRME page for more information including a link to the Special Research Interest Groups (SRIGs).
PURPOSES OF THE SOCIETY
1. Encourage research activity and improve research in music education as well as in fields related to music education.
2. Provide an effective framework for the exchange of information among persons engaged in or interested in research in music education;
3. Sponsor sessions at professional meetings devoted to reports of research studies and other relevant topics;
4. Oversee and advise NAfME on research-related publications; and
5. Foster and develop efforts that seek to apply research findings to the practice of teaching and learning.
Poster abstracts presented during NAfME’s 2016 Music Research and Teacher Education National Conference may be viewed under abstracts .
Council of Past National Presidents
The Council of Past National Presidents supports NAfME and the profession of music education so that all students may receive a balanced, comprehensive and sequential education in music, which will prepare them for lifelong and informed experiences with music.
Council of State Editors
The NAfME Council of State Editors seeks to
- Support state Music Education Association (MEA) programs and NAfME initiatives.
- Encourage professional publishing standards.
- Provide educational opportunities for editors and other interested parties.
The council consists of the editor(s) of the magazine or website of each of 52 state music education/educators association under the NAfME umbrella. Current Chair information. Also, see a list of all state contacts and journals .
State Editors: If there is interest in reprinting an article from Music Educators Journal or Teaching Music, please send your request to Ella Wilcox for permission and a credit line.
Council of State Executives
The Council of State Executives provides state executives in the 52 NAfME federated associations with the opportunity to exchange ideas, review programs, learn about issues associated with legal and regulatory requirements for nonprofits, and coordinate activities with each other and NAfME. The Council helps identify association best practices while representing the interests of music, music educators, and our family of associations. Current Chair Information. See a list of all state MEAs.
Council for Band Education
The NAfME Council for Band Education strives to share best practices, foster the growth of wind and percussion students of all ability levels, and provide materials to aid in band program success. Visit Roles and Responsibilities for Council details.
Council for Choral Education
The NAfME Council for Choral Education seeks to serve as a voice representing choral music education and to help choral educators with current practices in the choral field at all levels. Visit Roles and Responsibilities for Council details.
Council for General Music Education
The NAfME Council for General Music Education is to encourage and improve the quality of teaching and research in general music at all levels, with particular attention given to general music instruction from preschool through grade 8. Visit Roles and Responsibilities for Council details.
Council for Guitar Education
The NAfME Council for Guitar Education seeks to promote and improve the teaching and performance of guitar in school settings. The Guitar Council also advocates for the lifelong study and appreciation of guitar music. Visit Roles and Responsibilities for Council details.
The NAfME Guitar Council collaborated and compiled lists of Guitar Best Practices for each year of study. They comprise a set of technical skills, music experiences, and music theory knowledge that guitar students should know through their scholastic career.
Council for Innovations
Home for innovative ideas in all areas of music education, including emerging ensembles (i.e. world and popular music) and digital media.
NAfME Council for Innovations seeks to identify, promote, and expand innovative pathways and practices/processes in music education, by transforming both curricula and pedagogy to ensure that all students receive a high quality music education.
Visit Roles and Responsibilities for Council details.
Council for Jazz Education
NAfME Council for Jazz Education supports NAfME members and the jazz community by serving as a resource to improve the quality of teaching and research in jazz education at all levels. Visit Roles and Responsibilities for Council details.
Council for Music Composition
NAfME Council for Music Composition seeks to promote and improve the teaching of music composition in school settings. Visit Roles and Responsibilities for Council details.
The Music Composition Council administers the following NAfME composition contests:
- The Student Composers Competition
- The Electronic Music Composition Competition
- The Student Songwriters Competition (new in 2020)
Council for Orchestral Education
NAfME Council for Orchestral Education seeks to advance orchestral music education by supporting and advising orchestral music educators in their professional endeavor. The council also is a voice for the development of new and high-quality string programs nationally. Visit Roles and Responsibilities for Council details.
Council of Music Program Leaders
NAfME Council of Music Program Leaders (NCMPL) seeks to create, support, and ensure high-quality, active mu sic learning environments for all children. In collaboration with national, state, and local music education organizations and leaders, we promote the use of music curriculum and assessments that prepare music students for careers in the 21st century. The NCMPL contributes informed suggestions for effective measures for music teacher evaluation systems and acts as a conduit for gathering and disseminating information that is pertinent to school music education programs. The NCMPL also serves as a support network for sharing information and strategies among its members. Visit Roles and Responsibilities for Council details.
November 3-4, 2021: NAfME Virtual Music Program Leaders Forum, “Refresh, Refocus, Renew” – Register Now
NAfME Council of Music Program Leaders Colloquium series
- October 28, 2021, 4:00 PM EDT on “Coffin Time: Confronting Your Innermost Fears as a Leader” – Register now
Collegiate Advisory Council
NAfME Collegiate Advisory Council provides experienced, representative leadership in the development and support of NAfME Collegiate member recruitment, professional development, and events designed to foster a lifelong commitment to music education. Visit Roles and Responsibilities for Council details.
Music Honor Society Advisory Council (Tri-M)
The Music Honor Society Advisory Council, through the Tri-M program throughout the world, seeks to recognize students for their academic and musical achievements, reward them for their accomplishments and service activities, and provide leadership opportunities. Visit Roles and Responsibilities for Council details.