Purpose The communities to be served within the NAfME Music Honor Society Advisory Council are fundamentally associated with a program of activities and membership in a manner unlike the other councils and societies. A programmatic structure is the best way to promote lifelong engagement with the Association and music education. NAfME Advisory Councils will provide expert, committed, representative leadership in supporting program efforts for college student activities.
Mission The mission of the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) Collegiate Advisory Council is to advance music education by promoting collegiate membership as a formal induction into the profession.. (October 2011)
Goals: The Committee goals are a mutual and collaborative process among the NEB, National President, Chair, S and C members, and assigned staff consistent with the Association’s priorities and within the limits of the operating budget of the Association. Generally, the committee will help the Association:
- Increase membership
- Increase involvement & enthusiasm for the Association
- Learn more about the Association volunteer network
- Specifically, the goals include those set in the Presidential Charges.
Responsibilities of the Council:
- The Chair is to convene quarterly meetings with the entire committee (including the National Executive Board/NEB liaison) to discuss Council initiatives and seek input from each other.
- The Council will work to provide awareness of topical items and events by providing content for NAfME’s website on a monthly basis. (The NAfME staff liaison will then post to the appropriate web page.)
- The Council will provide mentors to monitor the Future Teachers Forum on NAfME’s website from September – May of each year. Mentors can be assigned from within the Council or recruited from other qualified NAfME members in the Collegiate community. Mentors are to answer forum questions or initiate dialog when forum activity is slow.
- Membership in NAfME
- At least one member of the Council will be an individual with expertise in teaching music education through technology. It is the responsibility of the Chair to name an individual with this qualification, if no such individual is among the Division appointees
- Reporting: Each Council will submit an annual written report on progress toward the council’s goals. This report will be submitted in time for dissemination to the National Assembly.