Purpose To advise the National Executive Board and help serve NAFME’s large and diverse membership, NAfME formed Councils that address the needs of a subset of members within a particular range of interests and job assignments. NAfME Councils provide expert, committed, representative leadership for all key areas of music education.
Mission The mission of the Council for Band Education is to share best practices, foster the growth of wind and percussion students of all ability levels, and provide materials to aid in band program success. (October 2011)
Goals The Committee goals are a mutual and collaborative process among the NEB, National President, Chair, and Society and Council members. Goals for any time period should be consistent with the Association’s priorities as stated in the Strategic Plan and other board documents or statements. They must also be within the limits of the operating budget of the Association. Generally, the Chair and committee members will help the Association:
- Act as a conduit for information to and from the board with regard to the interests and concerns of a defined group of members and, in doing so, foster and encourage membership among that group;
- Increase involvement & enthusiasm for the Association among the relevant group of members and other constituents with like interests who may not be members;
- Identify member volunteers.
Additional Responsibilities of the Council:
- The Chair is to convene quarterly meetings with the entire committee (including the National Executive Board liaison) to discuss Council initiatives and seek input from each other.
- The Council assists NAfME staff and the National Executive Board in the selection and nomination of various (annual) NAfME co-presented awards. Example: George Parks Award
- The Council will support the All National Honors Ensemble Committee by submitting nominations for the Honor Band Director.
- The Council participates in the review and ranking of session proposals for the National In-Service Conferences.
- The Council will work to provide awareness of Band Education research, topical items, and band events by providing content to NAfME’s website. (The NAfME staff will then post on the appropriate web page).
- The Council will monitor and contribute to the Band Education Community on Amplify, NAfME’s online community platform.
- Reporting: Each Council will submit an annual written report on progress toward the council’s goals. This report will be submitted in time for dissemination to the National Assembly.