Purpose To advise the National Executive Board and help serve NAFME’s large and diverse membership, NAfME formed Councils that address the needs of a subset of members within a particular range of interests and job assignments. NAfME Councils provide expert, committed, representative leadership for all key areas of music education.
Mission The mission of the Council for General Music Education is to encourage and improve the quality of teaching and research in general music at all levels with particular attention given to general music instruction from preschool through grade 8. (October 2011)
Goals: The Committee goals are a mutual and collaborative process among the NEB, National President, Chair, S and C members, and assigned staff consistent with the Association’s priorities and within the limits of the operating budget of the Association. Generally, the committee will help the Association:
- Increase membership
- Increase involvement & enthusiasm for the Association
- Learn more about the Association volunteer network
- Specifically, the goals include those set in the Presidential Charges.
Responsibilities of the Council:
- The Chair is to convene quarterly meetings with the entire committee (including the National Executive Board/NEB liaison) to discuss Council initiatives and seek input from each other.
- The Council will participate in the review and ranking of session proposals for the National In-Service Conferences
- The Council will work to provide awareness of general music education research, topical items and general music events by providing content for NAfME’s website a monthly basis. (The NAfME staff liaison will then post to the appropriate web page.)
- The Council will provide mentors to monitor the General Music Forum on NAfME’s website from September – May of each year. Mentors can be assigned from within the Council or recruited from other qualified NAfME members in the General Music community. Mentors are to answer forum questions or initiate dialog when forum activity is slow.
- Membership in NAfME
- At least one member of the Council will be an individual with expertise in teaching music education through technology. It is the responsibility of the Chair to name an individual with this qualification, if no such individual is among the Division appointees
- Reporting: Each Council will submit an annual written report on progress toward the council’s goals. This report will be submitted in time for dissemination to the National Assembly.