Mission To provide resources and opportunities that enhance the teaching and learning of music composition at all grade levels and in all music education content areas;
To work with the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) divisions and state affiliates to encourage the development of division and state composition programs and festivals;
To advocate for the importance of composition as an essential component of all students’ music education.;
To support music education research in the field of composition. (October 2011)
Responsibilities of the Council:
- The Council will provide implementation and oversight of the NAfME Composition Contests
- The Chair is to convene quarterly meetings with the entire committee (including the National Executive Board/NEB liaison) to discuss Council initiatives and seek input from each other.
- The Council will participate in the review and ranking of session proposals for the National In-Service Conferences
- The Council will work to provide awareness of research, topical items and events in music composition by providing content for NAfME’s website on a monthly basis. (The NAfME staff liaison will then post to appropriate web page.)
- The Council will provide mentors to monitor the Forum on NAfME’s website from September – May of each year. Mentors can be assigned from within the Council or recruited from other qualified NAfME members in the Music Composition community. Mentors are to answer forum questions or initiate dialog when forum activity is slow.
- Membership in NAfME
- At least one member of the Council will be an individual with expertise in teaching music education through technology. It is the responsibility of the Chair to name an individual with this qualification, if no such individual is among the Division appointees
- Reporting: Each Council will submit an annual written report on progress toward the council’s goals. This report will be submitted in time for dissemination to the National Assembly.