Mission To provide resources and opportunities that enhance the teaching and learning of music composition at all grade levels and in all music education content areas;
To work with the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) divisions and state affiliates to encourage the development of division and state composition programs and festivals;
To advocate for the importance of composition as an essential component of all students’ music education.;
To support music education research in the field of composition. (October 2011)
Goals The Committee goals are a mutual and collaborative process among the NEB, National President, Chair, and Society and Council members. Goals for any time period should be consistent with the Association’s priorities as stated in the Strategic Plan and other board documents or statements. They must also be within the limits of the operating budget of the Association. Generally, the Chair and committee members will help the Association:
- Act as a conduit for information to and from the board with regard to the interests and concerns of a defined group of members and, in doing so, foster and encourage membership among that group;
- Increase involvement & enthusiasm for the Association among the relevant group of members and other constituents with like interests who may not be members;
- Identify member volunteers.
Additional Responsibilities of the Council:
- The Council will provide implementation and oversight of the NAfME Composition Contests
- The Chair is to convene quarterly meetings with the entire committee (including the National Executive Board/NEB liaison) to discuss Council initiatives and seek input from each other.
- The Council will participate in the review and ranking of session proposals for the National In-Service Conferences
- The Council will work to provide awareness of research, topical items and events in music composition by providing content for NAfME’s website. (NAfME staff will then post to appropriate web page.)
- The Council will work to provide awareness of research, topical items and events in IN-ovations education by providing content for NAfME’s website. (The NAfME staff post to the appropriate web page.)
- The Council will provide will respond and contribute to community discussions on Amplify, NAfME’s online community platform
- Reporting: Each Council will submit an annual written report on progress toward the council’s goals. This report will be submitted in time for dissemination to the National Assembly.