Purpose To advise the National Executive Board and help serve NAFME’s large and diverse membership, NAfME formed Councils that address the needs of a subset of members within a particular range of interests and job assignments. NAfME Councils provide expert, committed, representative leadership for all key areas of music education.
Mission The mission of the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) Council of Music Program Leaders (NCMPL) is to create, support, and ensure high-quality, active music learning environments for all children. In collaboration with national, state, and local music education organizations and leaders, we promote the utilization of music curriculum and assessments that prepare music students for careers in the 21st century. As a result of our distinct roles, we contribute informed suggestions for effective measures for music teacher evaluation systems, and act as a conduit for gathering and disseminating information that is pertinent to school music education programs. NCMPL serves as a support network for sharing information and strategies among its members. (October 2011)
Goals The Committee goals are a mutual and collaborative process among the NEB, National President, Chair, and Society and Council members. Goals for any time period should be consistent with the Association’s priorities as stated in the Strategic Plan and other board documents or statements. They must also be within the limits of the operating budget of the Association. Generally, the Chair and committee members will help the Association:
- Act as a conduit for information to and from the board with regard to the interests and concerns of a defined group of members and, in doing so, foster and encourage membership among that group;
- Increase involvement & enthusiasm for the Association among the relevant group of members and other constituents with like interests who may not be members;
- Identify member volunteers.
Additional Responsibilities of the Council:
- The Chair is to convene quarterly meetings with the entire committee (including the National Executive Board/NEB liaison) to discuss Council initiatives and seek input from each other.
- The Council will participate in the review and ranking of session proposals for the National In-Service Conferences
- The Council will work to provide awareness of research, topical items and events by providing content for NAfME’s website. (NAfME staff will then post to the appropriate web page.)
- The Council will provide will respond and contribute to community discussions on Amplify, NAfME’s online community platform
- Reporting: Each Council will submit an annual written report on progress toward the council’s goals. This report will be submitted in time for dissemination to the National Assembly.