Purpose To advise the National Executive Board and help serve NAfME’s large and diverse membership, NAfME formed Councils that address the needs of a subset of members within a particular range of interests and job assignments. NAfME Councils provide expert, committed, representative leadership for all key areas of music education.
Mission The mission of the Council for Choral role Education is to serve as a voice representing choral music education with the National Association and help choral educators with current practices in the choral field at all levels (October 2011)
Goals The Committee goals are a mutual and collaborative process among the NEB, National President, Chair, and Society and Council members. Goals for any time period should be consistent with the Association’s priorities as stated in the Strategic Plan and other board documents or statements. They must also be within the limits of the operating budget of the Association. Generally, the Chair and committee members will help the Association:
- Act as a conduit for information to and from the board with regard to the interests and concerns of a defined group of members and, in doing so, foster and encourage membership among that group;
- Increase involvement & enthusiasm for the Association among the relevant group of members and other constituents with like interests who may not be members;
- Identify member volunteers.
Additional Responsibilities of the Council:
- The Chair is to convene quarterly meetings with the entire committee (including the National Executive Board liaison) to discuss Council initiatives and seek input from each other.
- The Council will participate in the review and ranking of session proposals for the National In-Service Conferences
- The Council will support the All National Honors Ensemble Committee by submitting nominations for the Honor Choir Director.
- The Council will work to provide awareness of choral education research, topical items and choral events by providing content to NAfME’s website. (NAfME staff will then post to the appropriate web page.)
- The Council will respond and contribute to community discussions on Amplify, NAfME’s online community platform.
- Reporting: Each Council will submit an annual written report on progress toward the council’s goals. This report will be submitted in time for dissemination to the National Assembly.